The City of San Diego is committed to furthering fair housing efforts by promoting fair and equal housing opportunities for its residents. It has committed to highlighting the Fair Housing Law, Title VIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968 and the California Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA), by continuing to address discrimination in our community and to support programs that will educate the public about the right to equal housing opportunities.
It is the City's policy to provide services without regard to race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, gender, marital status, familial status, source of income, sexual orientation, or disability. This commitment extends to all grant-funded housing programs provided by the City.
What is Fair Housing?
Fair housing can be defined as a condition in which individuals of similar income levels in the same housing market have a like range of housing choice available to them regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, age, gender, marital status, familial status, source of income, sexual orientation, or disability.
What is Housing Discrimination?
Housing discrimination is unjust or prejudicial treatment of individuals, in the area of housing and real estate, based on the individual's protected class.
What Guarantees My Right to Fair Housing?
The right to fair housing is assured by a variety of federal and state laws, primarily the Federal Fair Housing Act of 1968, the Fair Housing Amendments Act of 1988 and the California Fair Employment and Housing Act, which make it unlawful to discriminate in renting, selling, financing, and insuring housing.
What Should I Do If I Have a Complaint?
If you believe you have been denied housing or the opportunity to apply for housing in the City because of a protected characteristic, you may contact the City's Fair Housing Hotline at 1-800-462-0503.
Analysis of Fair Housing Impediments
The promotion and exercise of fair housing requires freedom from the impediments of discriminatory rental, sales, lending and insurance practices, exclusionary zoning and land use practices, and other forms of barriers to housing choice. These barriers to fair housing have been identified in the most recent San Diego Regional Analysis of Impediments to Fair Housing Choice (2010–2015).
To facilitate freedom from identified impediments and to eliminate those barriers, the City will strive to:
- Remedy discrimination in housing through education, training, and outreach;
- Promote fair housing rights and fair housing choice;
- Develop and manage housing choices which are safe, affordable, sustainable, and accessible; and
- Improve access to services for persons with limited English proficiency.
To further reflect its commitment to fair housing, the City has recently engaged the services of two Fair Housing Service Providers to provide community outreach and legal services:
Housing Opportunities Collaborative
San Diego, CA 92101-5612
(619) 283-2200 | General Inquiries
(800) 462-0503 | Fair Housing Hotline
Legal Aid Society of San Diego, Inc.
1764 San Diego Avenue, Suite 200
San Diego, CA 92110-1987
(877) 534-2524 | General Inquiries
(800) 462-0503 | Fair Housing Hotline
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development | Fair Housing Division
600 Harrison Street, 3rd Floor
San Francisco, CA 94107-1300
California State Department of Fair Employment & Housing
611 West Sixth Street, Room 150
Los Angeles, CA 90017-3101
SDMC Section 131.0466 on Reasonable Accommodations in Development
The Federal Fair Housing Act and the California Fair Employment and Housing Act require that jurisdictions make reasonable accommodations to afford disabled persons the equal opportunity to use and enjoy a dwelling. In consideration of the special need and the potential benefit that can be accomplished with a requested modification, deviations may be approved.
To get in touch with the City directly about fair housing matters, you may contact:
Michele (St. Bernard) Marano
HUD Programs Coordinator
Homeless & Housing Programs
Economic Development Department
1200 Third Avenue, Suite 1400, MS 56D
San Diego, CA 92101-4110
Monthly Fair Housing Activities and Events
- March 2015
- February 2015
- Special Event: Fair Housing Community Workshop & Survey(PDF)
- Evento Especial: Vivienda Justa Taller y Encuesta sobre la Comunidad, Spanish flyer(PDF)
- Special Event: Fair Housing Community Workshops(PDF)
- Evento Especial: Talleres Comunitarios de Vivienda Equitativa, Spanish flyer(PDF)
- January 2015
- December 2014
- November 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- Special Session: Affirmatively Furthering Fair Housing-August 11, 2014(PDF)
- July 2014
- June 2014
- May 2014
- Special Event: Fair Housing Training for Housing Providers-April 16, 2014(PDF)
- Evento Especial: Capacitacion para Proovedores de Vivienda-16 de Abril, 2014, Spanish flyer(PDF)
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
Fair Housing Informational Brochures
- Chinese (Traditional) | Putonghua
- Spanish | Español
- Tagalog | Tagalog
- Vietnamese | Tieng Viet