Contractor Prequalification Program
The program ensures compliance of Municipal Code §22.3004(a). The code requires contractors desiring to bid as a prime contractor on City of San Diego public works projects to be qualified based on:
- financial strength
- technical expertise
- a satisfactory record of past performance
- compliance with the law
Contractors certified as an emerging or small local business under the City's Small Local Business Enterprise (SLBE) program may be automatically prequalified to bid up to $1 million or their single-project bond limit, whichever is less. For more information and detailed requirements visit the SLBE Program.
These projects are valued at $1 million or less. To become prequalified to bid on small projects, contractors who are SLBE certified must submit a completed Prequalification Program Questionnaire - Small Projects, current financial statement, and current bond letter.
These projects are valued at more than $1 million. To become prequalified to bid on large projects, contractors must submit the Prequalification Program Questionnaire - Large Projects, a list of prior completed construction projects, current bond letter, and complete financial statement must be submitted for review and scoring.
The range of projects on which the contractor will be prequalified to bid is determined by the type of questionnaire and financial statements submitted. Please see the table below:
|Project Range||Questionnaire Type||Financial Information Type|
|Less than $1,000,000||Prequalification Program Questionnaire - Small Projects (PDF)||Financial Statement and Bond Letter|
|$1,000,001 - $15,000,000||Prequalification Program Questionnaire - Large Projects (PDF)||Reviewed Financial Statement and Bond Letter|
|$15,000,001 and above||Prequalification Program Questionnaire - Large Projects (PDF)||Audited Financial Statement and Bond Letter|
- Contractors desiring to prequalify to bid on projects valued at less than $1 million will complete and submit a Prequalification Program Questionnaire - Small Projects (PDF), current financial statements, and current bond letter.
- Contractors desiring to bid on projects valued at over $1 million must complete and submit the Prequalification Program Questionnaire - Large Projects (PDF), along with references, current bond letter, and complete financial statements.
- To continue eligibility, annual renewal of prequalification is required by submitting a Prequalification Program Renewal Questionnaire - Large Projects (PDF).
- City staff will verify the information submitted in the questionnaire, bond letter, and financial statements, and interview the contractor's previous clients. City staff will use standardized rating criteria to evaluate the questionnaire and interviews, and will determine the contractor's maximum bidding capacity. Once prequalified, contractors will be eligible to bid on City projects for two years.
Complete and accurate answers to the questions in the Prequalification Program questionnaire are required. These documents will be the basis of rating contractors with respect to the size and scope of contracts for which contractors are qualified to bid. The City reserves the right to check other available sources. Omission of requested information can result in automatic disqualification.
The prequalification program documents are not public records, subject to the Public Records Act, and are not open for public inspection. All information provided will be kept confidential to the extent permitted by law. The City reserves the right to reject any and all Prequalification Program Questionnaires and to waive any irregularities in the information contained therein.
Each Prequalification Program Questionnaire, and any other submitted pages, must be signed under penalty of perjury by an individual who has the legal authority to bind the contractor on whose behalf that person is signing. If any information provided by a contractor changes, the contractor must immediately notify the City and provide updated, accurate information in writing and under penalty of perjury.
The completed prequalification program packet, consisting of the Prequalification Program Questionnaire, construction projects completed, current bond letter, and current financial statements must be sent to:
City of San Diego
Public Works Department
Contractor Prequalification Program
1010 Second Ave, Suite 800
San Diego, CA 92101
Note: A complete prequalification program package must be received at least 10 days prior to any bid opening that the prime contractor wishes to bid on to allow time for review, verification and approval.
Any questions or requests for additional information should be directed to Dave Stucky at (619) 533-3474 or firstname.lastname@example.org.