Coastal Rail Trail (CRT) Project
The CRT is a regional project that will establish a multi-use trail to better connect the coastal cities of Oceanside, Del Mar, Carlsbad, Encinitas, Solana Beach and San Diego. Each city entered into a Memorandum of Understanding to plan, design, and construct segments of the trail within their respective jurisdictions.
The City of San Diegoís portion of the CRT consists of 10 miles of multi-use trails spanning from Carmel Valley Road on the north to Gilman Drive on the south. This segment of the trail will provide important connections between regional employment centers in Sorrento Valley; UC San Diego (UCSD); University City; residential communities to the north and south; COASTER stations; and a future San Diego Trolley line in the project area.
The CRT project will result in a number benefits to regional mobility, including:
- Providing a direct north-south connection for bicycles, pedestrians and joggers
- Links to regional employment centers in Sorrento Valley, UCSD, and University City for residential communities to the north and south
- Providing connections to Coaster stations and future Trolley stations in the project area
The projectís planning, design, and construction budget is approximately $21 million. Funding for capital outlay and continuing development support costs are proposed to come from a combination of grant funds and TransNet Funds.
The City initiated the first phase of the development process for this project in late 2012. During Phase I, alternative alignments will be reviewed and analyzed and a preferred alignment will be selected to move forward to environmental review. The preferred alignment will be selected based on thorough technical review and input received from the public.
- Initiation of community outreach program: Fall 2012*
- Anticipated Phase I completion: Fall 2013*
- Anticipated beginning of design: Spring 2014*
- Anticipated construction start date: To be determined
*All dates are approximate and subject to change.
- Proposed Route Alternatives (PDF)
- Potential Bikeway Types (PDF)
- Next Steps (PDF)
- Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Alternative Corridors Map (PDF)
Working Group Documents
- March 26, 2014 Meeting Notes (PDF)
- March 26, 2014 Meeting Agenda (PDF)
- February 2, 2014 Public Work Shop #2 Invitation (PDF)
- October 23, 2013 Meeting Notes (PDF)
- October 23, 2013 Coastal Rail Trail Presentation (PDF)
- October 23, 2013 Meeting Agenda (PDF)
- July 31, 2013 Public Work Shop Meeting Notes (PDF)
- May 29, 2013 Public Work Shop Presentation (PDF)
- May 22, 2013 Media Advisory of Notice of Public Workshop (PDF)
To receive the email updates about this project, submit your email address in the "Join our Email List" box on the left side of this page, and select the "Project Updates: Coastal Rail Trail" email self-subscribe list.
For questions or concerns about the project, call the Public Works Department construction project information line at (619) 533-4207, email email@example.com, or submit your inquiry online. Please reference "Coastal Rail Trail Project" with your inquiry.