About the Board
The Citizens' Review Board on Police Practices:
- reviews and evaluates serious complaints brought by the public against officers of the Police Department of the City of San Diego
- reviews all officer involved shootings and in-custody deaths
- reviews and evaluates the administration of discipline arising from sustained complaints
Subsequent to the review and evaluation process, the Board may choose to make policy and procedure recommendations to the Chief of Police.
Purpose of the Board
The purpose of the Board is to empower an independent citizens group to assure the public that complaints against San Diego police officers are investigated thoroughly, completely and fairly; and to recommend and advocate for policies which promote fair and humane policing of the city.
- CRB members attend training classes covering all aspects of law enforcement.
- CRB members go on "ride-alongs" with patrol officers.
- Officers are given training on the role of the CRB and its relationship with SDPD.