Arts and Culture, Commission for
(1) Advocate strongly for a substantial increase in funds for arts and culture.
(2) Recommend to the Mayor, City Council and the City Manager all City funding decisions for the arts and culture; and directly and exclusively make all granting recommendations to the City Council.
(3) Explore new sources of funding for arts and culture and evaluate the current allocation of Transient Occupancy Tax (TOT) funding as it pertains to arts and culture.
(4) Develop, coordinate and regularly reevaluate a comprehensive City cultural arts policy.
(5) Consistent with City Council policy, advocate for arts and culture with the City Council, as well as the private sector, local, regional, state and federal governments, and international entities, such as Mexico, Canada, Japan and Pacific Rim countries.
(6) Serve as the State/Federal local arts program partner.
(7) Manage the City public arts program, which shall include the following:
- a) Advise on the acquisition and placement of works of art on property of the City of San Diego, except for any museum, art gallery, or City-owned performance facility. No work of art shall be installed or existing work of art removed from public areas of City property without prior review by the Commission.
- b) Develop and recommend to the Mayor, City Council and City Manager programs to promote public performances and the public exhibition of the arts, and legislation to provide incentives to the public sector for inclusion of the arts in private developments.
- c) Develop and recommend legislation and policies to involve artists in selected City Capital Improvement Projects.
Appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the Council, subject to the following conditions: 1) the Mayor shall appoint seven (7) members; and, 2) the Mayor shall appoint the remaining eight (8) members, one each from a list of three (3) nominations submitted by each Councilmember. During September of each year, the Mayor shall designate a chairperson. In the absence of such designation, the Commission, on or after October 15, shall select from among its members a Chairperson.
Members shall serve two (2) year staggered terms (maximum of 8 yrs) and each member shall serve until successor is duly appointed and confirmed. The expiration date of all terms shall be August 31.
Board shall consist of fifteen (15) members who shall serve without compensation. Commission members shall be persons who represent the following areas: individual arts, arts organizations, arts patrons, educators, the business community, and the general public.
Chapter X, Article 6, Division 7(PDF) of the San Diego Municipal Code, Sections 26.07.1 - 26.07.07. Board established by Ordinance O-17026(PDF) NS on 02/16/88; amended by Ordinance O-17757 (PDF) NS adopted 04/20/92. Amended by Ordinance O-18786(PDF) on 04/10/00. Amended by Ordinance O-19280 on 05/17/04. Amended by Ordinance O-19794(PDF) on 10/27/08.