Guide to the City Clerk's Archives
Begun in late 1987, the Archives Program is part of the Records Management Division of the City of San Diego Clerk's Office.
Council Policy #000-25 (PDF) and Municipal Code Section 22.2603 (PDF) et. seq. authorized the City Clerk to develop a comprehensive Records Management Program. The program includes the establishment of an Archives Center to serve as a central source of information and materials regarding the history and development of the City of San Diego.
This guide was prepared to acquaint you with some of the functions of the Archives of the City and the services available to you.
Among the primary functions of the City's Archives Center are the identification, preservation and storage of records with permanent reference value that capture the City's history. In addition to a chronology of events, this helps document our progress as a City.
Archival records show how the City identified and coped with administrative and operational issues; how policy and procedures were developed and how City forefathers enacted and enforced legislation.
By preserving the past, the Archives will enhance the present and enrich the future history of San Diego.
The Archives consist of permanent records which are valuable in preserving the history of San Diego and provide educational enrichment for its citizens.
The Archives includes selected City records dating from approximately 1835 to 1960. Many of these are books. Individual documents are carefully preserved in acid free boxes and file folders. The Archives Center also has temperature and humidity controls for the preservation of these historical documents.
The Archival Library Collection is under construction and will be available for viewing in its entirety in the near future.
Handwritten archive documents have not gone through any optical character recognition (OCR) and therefore are not full text-searchable. When technology becomes available to effectively provide this process, we will make these documents full text-searchable.
Records in the Archives include:
City Clerk Reports
- 1850-1874 Minutes and Ordinances (06-17-1850 to 11-04-1874) (PDF: 39Mb)
- 1869 City Clerk Tax Certificates (0394 through 0890) (PDF: 167Mb)
- 1874-1883 Minutes and Ordinances (12-07-1874 to 09-11-1883) (PDF: 34Mb)
- 1874-1946 Real Estate Owned by the City of San Diego (PDF: 83Mb)
- 1882-1887 Minutes of the Board of Trustees (05-16-1882 to 05-13-1887) (PDF: 73Mb)
- 1883-1887 Minutes of the Board of Trustees (09-29-1883 to 04-11-1887) (PDF: 38Mb)
- 1887 Census by the San Diego City Clerk (PDF: 0.2Mb)
- 1889 City Clerk Tax Certificates (0903 - 1399) (PDF: 219Mb)
- 1889 City Clerk Tax Certificates (1400 - 1899) (PDF: 229Mb)
- 1889 City Clerk Tax Certificates (1900 - 2399) (PDF: 216Mb)
- 1889 City Clerk Tax Certificates (2400 - 2899) (PDF: 202Mb)
- 1889 City Clerk Tax Certificates (2900 - 3399) (PDF: 225Mb)
- 1889 City Clerk Tax Certificates (3400 - 3899) (PDF: 192Mb)
- 1889 City Clerk Tax Certificates (3901 - 4499) (PDF: 205Mb)
- 1889 City Clerk Tax Certificates (4500 - 4999) (PDF: 220Mb)
- 1889 City Clerk Tax Certificates (5000 - 5499) (PDF: 266Mb)
- 1889 City Clerk Tax Certificates (5500 - 6066) (PDF: 280Mb)
- 1889 Board of Health Committee on Water Supply by San Diego Water Company (PDF: 0.2Mb)
- 1897 Special Committee on Availability of Garbage Scow by the San Diego City Clerk (PDF: 0.1Mb)
- 1897 Special Committee on Disposal of City Garbage (PDF: 0.1Mb)
- 1912-1921 Minutes of the Board of Trustees (11-14-1912 to 12-15-1921) (PDF: 43Mb)
- 1914 Hydraulic Studies on the San Diego River by C.S. Alverson, Hydraulic Engineer (PDF: 3.1Mb)
- 1914 Present Condition and Future Possibilities of the Water System of San Diego by H.A. Whitney, Hydraulic Engineer (PDF: 0.5Mb)
- 1919 Sewage Disposal of the City of San Diego by Olmsted & Gillelen, Consulting Engineers (includes diagnosis, maps, and charts) (PDF 12.2Mb)
- 1932 Sewage Collection System of the City of San Diego by Charles Frisbie, Consulting Engineer (includes charts) (PDF: 17.6Mb)
- 1933 Revised Estimates of Intercepting Sewage System and Sewage Pumping Plants of the City of San Diego by Charles Frisbie, Consulting Engineer (includes maps) (PDF: 35.0Mb)
- 1937 California Projected Sanitary Improvements for the City of San Diego (includes charts and photos) (PDF: 4.7Mb)
- 1938 Dumping Trash and Refuse Within the City of San Diego by the San Diego City Planning Commission (includes map and photos) (PDF: 28.4Mb)
- 1946 Public Health in San Diego County and the City of San Diego by the American Public Health Association (PDF: 4.9Mb)
- 1954 Staff Report to the San Diego Regional Water Pollution Control Board by Harold E. Miller, Executive Officer (PDF: 1.2Mb)
- 1964 Financial Operations, Possible Public Acquisition, and Operation of the San Diego Transit System by Ernst & Ernst (includes charts and tables) (PDF: 2.0Mb)
- 1965 Transit Problems to the Honorable Mayor and City Council of San Diego from the Transit Study Advisory Committee (PDF: 1.3Mb)
Records in the Archives are available to City staff and members of the public for research purposes. The records shall be viewed on site only and shall not be removed from the City Clerk's Office.
How To Use The Archives Center
If you are interested in using the Archives Center's collections, you may submit a written request by using a Request Form (CC-1613). These forms are available in the City Clerk's Office.
Researchers shall work in the City Clerk's Office. Permission to review the materials will also be contingent upon compliance with the handout "Useful Tips for Archives Users" which can be obtained from Information Services staff.
The Archives Center's collections are available from 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday. For further information, you may contact the City Clerk's Office at (619) 533-4000.