The story of Serra Mesa begins with the Catholic Church and the King of Spain. The area was originally part of the Mission Rancho Lands of San Diego granted to the Catholic Church by the King of Spain. When Mexico overcame the Church in 1834, the land was deeded over to various men, including Don Santiago Arguello, who eventually divided and sold some 15,999 acres of land.
More modern development of the community began after the Korean War, when the Navy built its Cabrillo Heights housing project in the early 1950s. Today the community has a total population of approximately 24,000 people, with 8,374 housing units, most of them single family.
Serra Mesa residents are proud to be home to two of the six designated trauma centers in San Diego County, the only women's hospital, and the only hospital dedicated solely to pediatric care.
Donald N. Sharp Memorial Hospital opened its doors in 1955, and celebrated its 50th anniversary in 2005. It is part of the largest Integrated Healthcare Delivery Service in the County, serving 27% of county residents. In November 2007, Sharp HealthCare received the Malcolm Baldrige National Quality Award, the nation's highest Presidential honor for quality and organizational performance excellence.
Sharp Mary Birch Hospital for Women is San Diego's only hospital dedicated to women's care. One of the first of only 17 freestanding women's hospitals in the nation, Sharp Mary Birch provides a full range of women's health care services that cover every stage of a woman's life. More than 8,000 babies are born at Sharp Mary Birch each year, more than any other hospital in California. In just 10 years, the hospital has become a leader in the state in delivering babies and caring for pregnant women.
Sharp Memorial Outpatient Pavilion is the most comprehensive center of its kind in the country. Part of the Sharp Metropolitan Medical Campus, the Outpatient Pavilion provides cancer treatment, general imaging, women's imaging, outpatient surgery, endoscopy services, education and wellness programs and a health library.
Rady Children's Hospital. Since opening its doors in 1954, Rady Children's Hospital's mission has been "to restore, sustain and enhance the health and developmental potential of children through excellence in care, education, research and advocacy." It is the region's only designated pediatric trauma center and the only area hospital dedicated solely to pediatric care. Its goal is to help create a region where all children go to school healthy and ready to learn how to be productive, responsible citizens.