Rebuilding After the Cedar Fire
Development Services staff members continue to provide permit assistance for Cedar Fire survivors at the City of San Diego Development Services Department Inspection Services Office in the Stadium/Kearny Mesa area.
Staff is providing service for demolition permits, rebuilding permits, zoning/planning and answering fire damage questions for affected homeowners.
Our service goals for expediting the rebuilding process are to provide plan submittal and permit issuance with 3-5 days turnaround time for the first plan check. Rechecks will be done by appointment "over-the-counter."
Call (619) 446-5300 to schedule an appointment.
For Inspection-Related Questions
Phone: (858) 492-5070
- The City of San Diego Fire Safety and Brush Management Guide (PDF) summarizes guidelines for brush management in canyon areas. This is a new guide, prepared after the October 2003 Cedar Fire.
- New roof covering requirements effective March 1, 2004 (PDF): New roof covering requirements recently adopted by the City Council will be in effect for building permits issued on or after March 1, 2004. These requirements apply to all new and existing buildings.
- Fencing Pools (PDF): Important safey regulations for fencing pools at fire sites.
- City Manager's Report #04-005 (PDF) Proposed Emergency Regulatory Revisions to the Building Code Resulting from the Cedar Fire: On January 20, 2004, the City Council held a hearing on these issues and approved two of the recommendations. Scheduled to go into effect on March 1, 2004, the City approved a building code upgrade requiring Class A-rated roofs citywide and banned wood shingle and wood shake roofs for new houses and replacement roofs. The remaining issues discussed in the report will be studied further and brought back for Council review at a later date.
- City provides Scripps Ranch and Tierrasanta fire victims with recommended changes to building codes.
- 2003 Cedar Fire Proposed Code Change City Wide Roofing Issues (PDF)
- 2003 Cedar Fire Proposed Code Change High Fire Hazard Areas Board of Appeals (PDF)
- Board of Appeals and Advisors Meeting Agenda for January 8, 2004 (PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions about the City's Fee Waiver (PDF), This document provides information to homeowners rebuilding after the Cedar Fire.
- City Manager's Report # 03-231 (PDF), Waiver of City Fees Associated with City of San Diego 2003 Firestorm Damage: This report summarizes the Manager's recommendation for waived fees.
The following materials will aid property owners with proper erosion control on sites damaged by fire.
- Post-Fire Best Management Practices for Runoff, Erosion and Sediment Control (PDF)
- Post-Fire Mitigation Tips for Homeowners (PDF)
- Press Release on City Erosion Control Efforts (PDF)
- Useful Tips for Cleaning Up Ash and Debris (PDF)