General Refuse Collection Information and Rules
How to Obtain a Container
On January 1, 2008, the responsibility for refuse container replacement returned to the residents. Property owners who need to replace a damaged, lost or stolen refuse container must now:
- obtain refuse containers from the Environmental Services Department for a $70 user fee (additional delivery charge may apply). Call Customer Service, 858-694-7000 for exact amount, or
- purchase approved containers from another source such as a home improvement store.
While refuse containers withstand rugged use in the collection process, new City-issued containers are expected to have a lifespan of 10 years. If the container becomes defective before the 10-year warranty is up, a prorated fee will apply to the replacement.
- If you are requesting new service, download a new service request application (PDF).
|Photo||Container||One-time, Non-refundable User Fee|
|Black refuse container
|Blue recycling container
(Up to three)
Call Customer Service, 858-694-7000
Black Refuse Bin
- Second and additional refuse containers will cost the full $70 user fee plus delivery charge if applicable.
- Lost or stolen refuse containers will cost the full $70 user fee for replacement plus delivery charge if applicable.
- Refuse containers damaged by misuse or by a third party will cost the full $70 user fee for replacement plus delivery charge, if applicable.
- Refuse containers damaged in the regular collection process will be charged prorated replacement costs. Containers in use for more than 10 years will be replaced for $70 plus delivery, if applicable. Containers within the 10 year lifespan will cost a prorated fee based on $7 per year, plus delivery charge, if applicable. Call Customer Service at 858-694-7000 for exact amount.
- Newly constructed residential properties will receive the first refuse container free of charge. This does not include remodels, but applies only to new homes with new addresses.
- Containers obtained from the City of San Diego have a 10-year life expectancy.
Blue Recycling Bin
- If picked up, one or two additional blue recycling containers are available at no cost. Otherwise, there is a $25 one-time non-refundable fee for delivery.
To request delivery of an additional container or replacement of a lost, stolen or damaged container, call Customer Service at 858-694-7000 to place your order and exact amount due (if applicable). When calling for container replacement or repair, please be prepared to give the following information: Name, Address, Phone #, and Container Serial #.
Please include your Name, Service Request# and Container Size requested (small, medium or large) with your check or money order. Also include the address of where you would like the container to be delivered. Deliveries may take between two and six weeks after payment is received. Mail payment to:
8353 Miramar Place
San Diego, CA 92121
Check/money order payable to: City Treasurer
OR, to pick up the container yourself (blue or black containers), bring Visa, MasterCard, debit card, check/money order or cash (exact amount ONLY) to the address above, Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m.- 4 p.m. Call 858-694-7000 to establish a work order and confirm container supply. Please bring the damaged container with you, if applicable. You are responsible for securing containers to or inside your vehicle for safe transport. (3-feet 10-inches-tall, 2-feet 2-inches-wide, 2-feet, 8-inches-deep.)
Please note: Visa, MasterCard, debit cards, check/money order or cash (exact amount ONLY) are only accepted for payments made in person at the office at 8353 Miramar Place.
Purchase an Approved Container from Another Source
- Containers must have certain features to be compatible with the City's collection trucks.
- Refuse containers must be black.
- Containers must be one of the following brands and models:
- Rehrig-Pacific - ROC-35, ROC-65, ROC-95-U
- Toter, Inc. - EVR Universal Cart 64- or 96-gallon
- Containers can be purchased from any home improvement store or outlet that sells these models.
- Containers purchased from vendors other than the City of San Diego are subject to standard vendor warranties.
If you have questions, contact ESD Customer Service at 858-694-7000.