Paint Recycling and Disposal
PaintCare is a non-profit established by the American Coating Association to manage leftover and unused architectural paint. PaintCare has established drop-off sites in San Diego County. These sites will accept architectural paint from residents.
PaintCare Brochure (PDF)
Find the nearest PaintCare drop-off location: www.paintcare.org/drop-off-locations/
Most PaintCare locations have a 5-gallon limit on the quantity of architectural paint they can accept. Paint containers must be 5-gallon in size or smaller. Leaking, unlabeled and empty containers are not accepted at PaintCare drop-off sites.
Architectural paint accepted at PaintCare locations:
- Interior and exterior architectural paints: latex, acrylic, water-based, alkyd, oil-based, enamel (all types of finishes and sheens, including textured coatings)
- Deck coatings, floor paints (including elastomeric)
- Primers, sealers, and under coaters
- Shellacs, lacquers, varnishes, urethanes (single component)
- Waterproofing concrete/masonry/wood sealers and repellents (not tar or bitumen-based)
- Swimming pool paints (single component)
- Metal coatings, rust preventatives
PaintCare drop-off sites will accept architectural paint from trade painters, contractors and other businesses with one restriction: if your business generates more than 27 gallons of hazardous waste per month, you can only drop off latex paint at PaintCare locations.
For more information: http://www.paintcare.org/california/index.php or call (855)724-6809