Bring Your Own Bag San Diego
Reusable Bag Giveaway Events
February 27, 11am – 1pm Paradise Market 6907 Paradise Valley Rd. (while supplies last).
Cleaning Tips for Your Reusable Bags
- Use different bags for different items. Designate certain bags for different items such as raw meat, seafood, and cleaning supplies. Label bags to avoid confusion.
- Read the care labels on your bags to determine whether they should be machine washed, hand washed, or wiped clean with a non-toxic cleaning agent.
- After cleaning, make sure bags are dry before storing.
- Store bags in a cool, dry environment.
Partner with BYOB-SD
Interested in becoming a BYOB-SD partner or sponsor? Email:
SDRecyclingWorks@sandiego.gov to find out how!
EVERY BAG COUNTS
Approximately 500 million single-use plastic bags are used in San Diego annually. Ninety-seven percent of these bags end up as litter or in the landfill. Replacing single-use bags with reusable bags can prevent up to 41,000 bags from entering the environment in one person's lifetime.The Environmental Services Department (ESD) has proposed a single-use bag reduction ordinance to reduce the amount of single-use bags in our community. After conducting an environmental review the City Council will vote on this ordinance. If passed, it will go into effect, most likely in late 2014 or early 2015.
You can help raise AWARENESS
Across the globe, over 1 million plastic bags are used per minute. Switching to reusable bags can:
- Reduce litter. An estimated 50 million plastic bags become litter annually in the US. These bags end up in our oceans harming marine life, cluttering roadsides, and clogging municipal drainage systems.
- Prevent waste. Approximately three percent of plastic bags are recycled in California. Most are used only once and end up in landfills or as litter.
- Prevent pollution. The production and delivery of paper and plastic bags uses valuable resources like oil and water. Sticking with reusable bags helps reduce your environmental footprint.
Tips to help you remember your bags EVERY TIME YOU SHOP
- Store reusable bags where you spend most of your time - in the car and the office. Many shopping trips are unplanned and unexpected. Be prepared by keeping reusable bags handy and accessible.
- Get reusables with a clip. Clip your reusable bags to key chains, belt loops, purse straps, dog leashes, and stroller handles -- anything to make sure they’re there when you need them.
- Hang your bags on your doorknob, and you'll be sure to remember your reusable bag on the way out of the house.
- In the checkout line and forgot your bags!? No problem. If you have just a few items, “go bagless!” If you have more, just load all of your groceries back into the cart, and bag them once you get to your car. If you forgot your bags completely, you can always load your un-bagged groceries into the car and retrieve your bags once you get home to carry them inside. You'll be sure to remember them the next time!
Planning to buy, sell, or give away reusable bags?
Here are some tips to ensure you are using a quality/durable bag: