Construction & Demolition (C&D) Recycling
Application Process - Before the Project Starts
- Determine if your project is affected by the ordinance requirements. Some projects are exempt from the ordinance. To find out what projects must comply with the recycling ordinance and what projects are exempt, consult the C&D Debris Recycling Deposit Table (see below).
- Fill out a Waste Management Form - Part I (WMF - I) for every project covered by the ordinance.
- Provide C&D debris estimates in tons. For C&D debris that can't be weighed, please consult the City's Construction and Demolition Debris Conversion Rate Table. If any of the materials generated do not have a conversion factor listed, determine the quantity of the particular materials and provide an estimate of the weight of the materials.
- Specify the Certified Recycling Facilities where the C&D debris will be taken for recycling. Certified Recycling Facilities must be used in order to be eligible for a deposit refund. Donating reusable goods is also acceptable with appropriate documentation, such as receipts and photos.
- Make a copy of the WMF - I, front and back, to be used as part of the required documentation for the refund request.
- Submit the complete WMF - I when paying for the permit at issuance.
- Pay the refundable C&D debris recycling deposit at time of permit issuance. Permits will not be issued unless the WMF - I is submitted and the deposit is paid. The recycling deposit amount is based on type of project and square feet. For qualifying project types and deposit amounts consult the C&D Debris Recycling Deposit Table (see below). The recycling deposit may be fully refundable if 50% of all debris generated by the project is recycled and properly documented. For refund requirements consult the refund request requirements.
The following table indicates types of projects that are affected by the program. Please note the building's square footage to determine deposit amount.
|Building Category||Sq. Ft. Subject to Ordinance*||Deposit per Sq. Ft.||Range of Deposits|
|Residential New Construction||500-125,000 detached
|Non-residential New Construction||1,000-25,000 commercial
|Non-residential Alterations||286 with no maximum||$0.70||$200 and up|
|Residential Demolition||286 with no maximum||$0.70||$200 and up|
|Non-residential Demolition||1,000 with no maximum||$0.20||$200 and up|
|Roof Project with Tear-off||All projects||-||$200|
|Residential Alterations||500 and above||-||$1,000|
*Projects under the minimum square footage subject to the ordinance are exempt from the C&D debris recycling deposit.
Other Exemptions Include:
- Roofing projects that do not include the tear-off of the existing roof.
- Installation, replacement or repair of:
- Retaining wall
- Swimming pool or a spa
- Pre-fabricated sign which does not require modification to the structure to which sign is attached
- Storage racks
- Projects which require only an electric, plumbing or mechanical permit.
- Projects which are expected to generate only hazardous waste and/or hazardous substances.
- Projects for which the construction and demolition debris deposit is less than $200.