Beginning February 18, 2008, the City of San Diego Recycling Ordinance (PDF) requires that the responsible person for a community special event must provide recycling containers throughout the venue.
The ordinance applies to special events held on public property that require a permit from the City of San Diego. Typical events include runs, walks, triathlons, festivals and parades. For more information on special event permits, contact the Office of Special Events.
The recycling ordinance requires that:
- The number of recyclable containers at special events be equal to the number of trash containers.
- Recycling and trash containers must be placed next to each other throughout the event.
- Each recyclable container must be clearly identified as a recycling receptacle and display a list of types of recyclable materials accepted.
- Organizers can determine types of recyclables to be collected, as long as the recyclables include aluminum and metal cans, glass and plastic bottles and jars.
- The event's coordinator must ensure that all recyclable materials are delivered to a recycling facility, and not to a landfill.
The use of disposable expanded polystyrene, (a.k.a. Styrofoam™) foodware is highly discouraged due to its tendency to easily break apart and create litter. Alternatives such as plastic, paper, or reusable plates/cups should be used instead.
The City of San Diego recently purchased 200 "Clearstream" recycling and trash containers to be used at special events within the City of San Diego. The containers are ideal for special events as they are clearly labeled and collapsible.
The containers are obtainable for a rental fee of $5 each through Urban Corps at 3127 Jefferson Street, San Diego 92110/619-235-6884 x3311.
Priority is given to those events which require a special event permit by The City of San Diego and are held in Balboa Park. Other event organizers within City limits are welcome to use the containers on a first come, first serve basis.
Special Events Recycling Video:
More Information and Resources:
- Why Recycle?
- Recycling Ordinance Compliance Video for Special Events (MP4)
- Signage for Special Events Recycling Containers (PDF)
- Additional Signage for Special Events Recycling Containers - Recycling/Compost/Trash (PDF)
- Recycling Container and Signage Guidelines for City Recycling Ordinance (PDF)
- Recycling Collection Services for Special Events (PDF)
- Exemptions (PDF)