Candidates and Campaign Committees
For information pertaining to specific City elections, please refer to the Ethics Commission's Election Information page.
Candidates for local elective office, and campaign committees that support or oppose such candidates, are subject to both state and local campaign finance laws. The Ethics Commission has jurisdiction over local campaign finance laws, also referred to as the Election Campaign Control Ordinance, or "ECCO." Local campaign finance laws are more restrictive than those at the state, and include campaign contribution limits and disclosure requirements not found in state law. This portion of the Ethics Commission's website contains links to ECCO and to a number of Fact Sheets that discuss, in plain language, many of the provisions of ECCO.
State campaign laws are enforced by the Fair Political Practices Commission [FPPC], which has prepared campaign manuals applicable to all candidates and committees. The Ethics Commission has prepared its own campaign manuals (see links below) specifically designed for candidates and committees participating in City of San Diego elections.
For questions regarding how to become a candidate or when to file campaign statements, please contact the City Clerk's office. If you have questions regarding what to disclose on those statements, contact the Ethics Commission.
- San Diego Campaign Laws [ECCO] (PDF)
- 2014 Council District Elections Candidate Manual (PDF)
- 2014 Council District Elections Committee Manual (PDF)
- 2013-2014 Mayoral Special Elections Candidate Manual (PDF)
- 2013-2014 Mayoral Special Elections Committee Manual (PDF)
- Campaign Fact Sheets
- Top 10 Rules for City Candidates (PDF)
- Frequently Asked Questions
- State Campaign Forms
- Form EC:LDF-DPM Professional Expense Committee - Disclosure of Pending Matters (PDF)
- Form EC-703 Electioneering Communication Disclosure Report (PDF)
2014 Review of the City's Campaign Finance Laws
Note: these amendments are effective as of January 1, 2015.
- Amendments approved by City Council and Mayor (PDF)
- Proposed Amendments to ECCO (November 18, 2014) (PDF)
- Proposed Amendments to ECCO (July 11, 2014) (PDF)
- Proposed Amendments to ECCO (July 2, 2014) (PDF)
- Proposed Amendments to ECCO (June 19, 2014) (PDF)
- Proposed Amendments to ECCO (June 2, 2014) (PDF)
- Proposed Amendments to ECCO (April 28, 2014) (PDF)
- Memorandum to the Ethics Commission (March 3, 2014) (PDF)