The City's Ethics Ordinance applies to all "City Officials." This term includes elected officials and members of their staffs, as well as every unclassified City employee, consultant, and member of a City board or commission who files a Statement of Economic Interests (SEI). Officers and employees of the City's agencies, such as Civic San Diego and the Housing Commission, are also City Officials if they have SEI filing obligations. Conflict of interest codes containing lists of the City positions with SEI filing obligations are available on the City Clerk's website.
If you have questions regarding when to file your SEI, contact the City Clerk. If you have questions regarding what to disclose on your SEI, contact the Ethics Commission.
The Ethics Ordinance includes a variety of laws designed to ensure that the City's decisions are made by individuals free from bias caused by their personal financial interests. It includes provisions requiring the disclosure of various types of financial interests, prohibitions relating to conflicts of interest, constraints on the misuse of City resources, and post-employment restrictions designed to eliminate undue or improper influence by former officials. The Ethics Commission has prepared a number of Fact Sheets that discuss, in plain language, many of the provisions of the Ethics Ordinance.
- San Diego Ethics Ordinance (PDF)
- Ethics Ordinance Fact Sheets
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Tickets and Invitations Flowchart (Jan. 2014) (PDF)
- Form EC700 - Mid-Year Gift Disclosure for Elected High Level Filers (PDF)
- FPPC Form 700 - Forms and Instructions
- FPPC Form 801 - Gifts to Agency Report
- FPPC Form 802 - Tickets Provided by Agency Report
- FPPC Form 803 - Behested Payment Report
- Form EC:LDF-DPM Professional Expense Committee - Disclosure of Pending Matters (PDF)
- Request For Event Information Form (Jan. 2012) (PDF)
2013 Review of the Ethics Ordinance
- Ethics Ordinance Amendments adopted by the City Council on October 1, 2013 (PDF)
- Proposed Amendments to the Ethics Ordinance (May 8, 2013) (PDF)