The San Diego Fire-Rescue Department Logistics Division provides multiple services in support of the department. A dedicated staff of both civilian and sworn personnel provides supervision and direct action to keep Fire-Rescue operational. These areas include:
The Facilities Division is responsible for overseeing the repair maintenance of more than 62 facilities, including 47 fire stations, 16 lifeguard stations, a training facility, a communications center and Fire Headquarters. In addition, the Division administers the long-term planning of new department facilities and infrastructures through capital improvements, which includes:
- Overseeing of the programming, design, construction, remodel, demolition, maintenance, repairs, and the associated contracts of fire and lifeguard facilities;
- Responding to all facilities maintenance and repair requests 24 hours, 7 days a week;
- Presenting to community groups and other stakeholders regarding department facility projects;
- Responding to and providing support for large logistical emergencies under the National Incident Management System (NIMS);
Specification development, procurement and upfitting of all new vehicles is performed by Fire-Rescue personnel.
In a partnership with the city's Fleet Services Division, heavy fire apparatus maintenance and repair is provided for more than 150 diesel-powered emergency apparatus and support vehicles.
A Battalion Chief serves as the Fleet Liaison Officer to interact with Fleet Services on the fire department's behalf. This includes the additional 200 light Fire-Rescue vehicles serviced throughout the city.
The Supply Center inventories equipment required for firefighters to perform their duties. The storeroom is managed by an Equipment Manager.
The Fire Logistics Supply Center is responsible for:
- Inventory, distribution, and tracking of all fire apparatus equipment;
- Inventory, distribution and tracking of all personal protective equipment worn by firefighters while performing their duties;
- Developing specifications and evaluations for fire equipment and personal protective equipment;
- Annual testing and/or calibration of various equipment and personal protection equipment (ie. Gas detectors, firefighting garments, fire hose, self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA);
- Distributing station supplies, inter-office mail and the transfer of equipment and materials between stations and departments.
- Providing 24/7 emergency logistical support for fire emergency incidents.