Firefighter Recruit is one of the most popular entry level job classifications in the City of San Diego. In recent years, when the Basic Fire Academy asks for applications, the number of applicants far exceeds the number who can be accepted. Because of the immense interest in the position, the City of San Diego does not widely advertise Fire Recruit openings. Be aware the Fire Recruit position opens infrequently and the resulting eligibility list lasts one year. The City Personnel Department maintains an e-mail notification system to let you know when applications are being taken.
A Fire Recruit is under constant supervision while attending the Fire Academy. The academy prepares recruits for a fire fighting career and also teaches them to perform related work.
Fire Recruit is an entry-level class in the Firefighter series. Upon successful completion of the Fire Academy, recruits are promoted to Firefighter I.
Examples of Fire Recruit Duties
- Attends a 16 week paid Fire Academy which includes course work and practice in fire prevention and suppression, emergency medical training and State and local laws
Minimum Qualifications of Fire Recruit
- At least 18 years of age
- A U.S. Citizen or have the legal right to work in the U.S.
- High school graduate or equivalent
- A valid Emergency Medical Technician Certificate issued by the State of California, National Registry or by a EMT certifying agency approved by the State of California
- Valid CPR Certificate issued by an American Heart Association healthcare provider or equivalent
- A valid California Class C Driver's License
10440 Black Mountain Road
San Diego, CA 92129
General Information: (858) 536-7800
Fire Technology and Emergency Medical Technician Programs (Camp Nimitz Campus): (619) 523-2932
1951 East Valley Parkway
Escondido, CA 92027
General Information: (760) 744-1150
Emergency Medical Technician and Paramedic Programs: (760) 744-1150 EXT 8150
Fire Technology Program (San Marcos Campus): (760) 744-1150 EXT 1770
900 Otay Lakes Road
Chula Vista, CA 91910
General Information: (619) 421-6700
Fire Technology, Emergency Medical Technician and Paramedic Programs: (619) 428-6460
San Diego Metro Regional Occupational Program
Emergency Medical Technician Program: (619) 596-3690 Grossmont
Fire Technology: (619) 590-3923 East County
Dispatcher Program: (619) 644-7550 Grossmont