Never Leave a Child Unattended in a Car
Leaving a child alone in a car, for just a "second" while you run into a store can lead to tragedy.
Your Car Can Become an Oven in Minutes
Even on a moderately cool day, the temperature inside a vehicle can exceed 100 degrees within minutes. When it is 88 degrees outside, lethal temperatures can be reached within 10 minutes or less.
A child's body temperature increases 3-5 times faster than that of an adult and they can become dehydrated within minutes.
Cracking the windows, having a vehicle of a larger size or lighter color does little to reduce the temperature inside your vehicle. Even in a previously air-conditioned car, the temperature increase is rapid.
Always Keep Vehicles Locked and Keys Out of Reach of Children
Children have become trapped inside the passenger or trunk compartment.
- Teach children not to play in vehicles
- Teach children to tell an adult if they see a friend playing in a car
- Child safety locks may prevent your child from being able to escape
- Teach children how to get out of a vehicle and trunk -- contact your auto manufacturer to have a trunk release installed
- If a child is missing, check all vehicles immediately