The Department of Information Technology provides the following Citywide IT services:
- Citywide Applications & Technologies – manages and coordinates Citywide business applications, such as Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Collaboration tools (Microsoft SharePoint), and enterprise document management systems.
- IT Governance – creates and implements Citywide IT policies, procedures, and standards; develops the Citywide IT Strategic Plan under the direction of City's IT Business Leadership Group and ensures IT strategies align with and support the City's business strategies and goals; creates and implements the Department of IT's annual Tactical Plan and ensures alignment with Citywide business goals; develops and manages agreements for IT services with San Diego Data Processing Corporation (SDDPC) and other IT vendors; and manages Internal Controls for IT in the areas of system access and procurement of IT goods and services.
- IT Security – manages and ensures the security and safety of the City's computing resources by creating, implementing, and enforcing IT security policies, procedures, and standards; performs random and planned system audits; educates City employees about cyber security (internal and external threats); and performs electronic discovery (eDiscovery) for California Public Records Act (CPRA) requests and in response to subpoenas or internal investigations. The department provides general public information regarding Cyber Security Awareness and also sponsors the City's involvement in the annual National Cyber Security Awareness Month.
- IT Operations & Centralized Services – manages the services for the Citywide Help Desk and Desktop Support contract with En Pointe Technologies; manages enterprise messaging (Microsoft Exchange/Outlook) services, file/print services, network directory administration, and IT asset management services with SDDPC; coordinates the daily operations of Citywide IT infrastructure with SDDPC and other service providers.
- IT Budget & Service Rates – coordinates and manages the development of the annual Citywide IT budget, jointly with the Financial Management Department and the Office of the City Comptroller; negotiates service rates with SDDPC and other vendors; monitors and manages ongoing Citywide IT service costs versus budget.
- Web Services – provides oversight and direction for the applications and tools used throughout the City to deliver Internet/Intranet services to City employees and the public; ensures vendor support and maintenance of the City's web server infrastructure; develops and implements Citywide policies and processes related to development and maintenance of the City's websites and web applications; ensures the City's websites meet requirements of Title II of the ADA and 508 Federal guidelines and other best practices for usability and easy access to City government information and services; provides citizen support and responds to citizen requests for information as it pertains to the City's public website.