Urban Design Program
Architectural style and form, as well as the character and arrangement of streets, lighting, signage, and other physical development elements, are discussed in the NTC Urban Design Guidelines (Appendix H of the Naval Training Center San Diego Reuse Plan). Important urban design policy objectives are to:
- Emphasize pedestrian use;
- Enhance orientation to San Diego Bay;
- Respect and reflect the military heritage of the site;
- Use open space to link the internal areas of NTC; and
- Join NTC visually to the surrounding neighborhood.
Some of the major physical design elements are:
- A mile-long promenade/linear park that runs from the Historic District through to the military housing area;
- An urban plaza intended as a significant public space from the Historic District to the water's edge;
- An esplanade around the perimeter of the boat channel that permits and promotes public access; and
- A large public park along most of the western edge of the boat channel.
Urban design guidelines have been prepared for each separate use area at NTC (residential, office, education, etc.), as well as for the circulation system and open space elements.