Civic Dance Arts Program
Program Office: (619) 235-5255
- June 20, 2015 at 10:00 a.m.- Registration begins for all Civic Dance Arts classes.
- All classes visible on SDRecConnect on May 22, 2015.
- No classes on City Holidays.
- Or, Register for our Summer Camps!, July 13 to August 14, 2015. Registration and brochure at civicdancearts.org, click Dance Camp.
- September 19, 2015 at 10:00 a.m.- Registration begins for all Civic Dance Arts classes.
- All classes visible on SDRecConnect on August 21, 2015.
- No classes on City Holidays.
- Visit civicdancearts.org for more information.
- Leotard and tights or dance pants/shorts. No jeans allowed at any time. Hair tied back and out of the eyes. Appropriate shoes required. See instructor for more detailed information.
Cost and Class Information
- $48.00 per semester (unless indicated otherwise)
- Classes: June 29 to September 6, 2015 (10 sessions).
- Each class meets once a week for 45 minutes (unless indicated otherwise)
- The classes listed are subject to cancellation when enrollment minimums are not met and based on budgetary constraints.
- Dance instructors have final determination if their class levels are appropriate for the skills of the dancer enrolled. If the class is determined to not be a good fit, the student will be offered a transfer to another class or given a refund (see Refund Policy below).
- All participants must meet age requirements.
- No classes on City Holidays.
- Please be advised that parents will not be allowed in the dance room to watch classes as it is disruptive to the students dancing. Parents may watch the last 5 minutes of class only.
- More complete information about our events and classes can be found on this website.
- Dance office: 619-235-5255 (Monday to Friday 9:00am to 4:00pm).
Summer Camps and Adult Workshop
- Register for our Summer Camps!, July 13 to August 14, 2015. Registration information here.
- Register for our Adult Workshop! August 23, 2015. Registration information here.
- Online Class registration requires a credit card payment.
- Credit cards accepted are Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Discover. We are unable to accept debit cards without a Visa or Mastercard logo.
- Payment will also be accepted at Citywide Recreation Centers and the War Memorial Bldg using a credit card, EXACT cash or a check payable to: City Treasurer.
- All fees must be paid in full at the time of registration.
- Registration conducted on a first come, first served basis.
- A $25 fee will be charged for all returned checks.
- Class fees are not prorated/discounted after the beginning of the scheduled session.
- Financial assistance is available. Please contact the Dance Office for more information on how to apply: 619-235-5255.
- Refund request forms MUST be submitted PRIOR to the 2nd scheduled class meeting or two weeks PRIOR to the scheduled camp/workshop start date. You can get the form (AC 1006) from your dance instructor or by contacting the dance office at 619-235-5255. Please note that forms will need to be sent in to the City along with your original class receipt. Allow 6 to 8 weeks to receive your refund check in the mail.
- If a class is cancelled, the Dance office will contact you to follow the same procedures outlined above for processing a refund.
- No partial refunds or make-ups for missed classes (i.e. routine illness, vacation or other schedule conflict).
Inclusion Support Services
- The City of San Diego Therapeutic Recreation Services may provide inclusion aides for individuals with disabilities who wish to participate in Civic Dance Arts classes. Requests for this service must be made at least three weeks prior to the first day of class. For more information on Inclusion Support Services, contact Julie Gregg, CTRS, Inclusion Coordinator at 619-525-8248 or send an email.
Online Registration Information
Summer 2015, we will begin enrolling for all Civic Dance Arts classes using the ActiveNet (aka SDRecConnect) Online Registration System. Please Note that our Civic Dance Arts classes will not be visible on SDRecConnect until May 22nd and that you will not be able to enroll in any of them until registration opens on Saturday, June 20 at 10:00am. Remember to add whomever will be paying for the class(es) to your family account. If you don't add your spouse or grandparent, as examples, they will not be able to register and pay for you from home on registration day.
- Log onto the SDRecConnect registration website here.
- What you should do now:
- Create your online account. Click here for information on how to set up your account. If you have already created an account for any City of San Diego Park and Recreation activity, such as Cooking classes, swim lessons, etc. you DO NOT need to create a new account for dance classes.
- Read all information on this page so you are prepared.
- Contact us if you have any questions at 619-235-5255.
Registration will open on Saturday, June 20, 2015 at 10:00a.m.
You will be able to register for all your classes at that time from your home (with a credit card) or in person (cash, check, credit card) at any Recreation Center citywide or at the War Memorial Building from 10:00a.m. to 2:00p.m. in Balboa Park. Please note that registration will not be taken at the Casa del Prado building - please go to the War Memorial Building to register.
Be sure to create your SDRecConnect account (if you don't already have one) before the registration date. This will enable you to register much more quickly day of and not miss out getting into the class you want. Click here for information on how to set up your account.
Our program has more than 200 weekly classes offered that range from beginning to advanced level dance instruction. We have come up with a naming/numbering system to codify our classes and levels. Completing one semester, or even one year, of a class is not a guarantee that a student will progress to the next level. All students progress at their own rate and must master specific technical skills and showmanship skills before a teacher will move them to the next level. There are no prerequisite skills needed for children and adults to enroll in our beginning 1A classes as well as the classes for 3 to 6 year olds listed as Pre ballet, Pre tap and/or Creative movement. All other classes, beginner level 1B classes through advanced level 5 classes have required prerequisites. You must create an online account before your dance instructor can set your prerequisite skill level so that you will be able to register for those more advanced classes from home on the registration day. For those of you in classes now (Spring 2015) it is highly recommended to create your SDRecConnect account by April 17, 2015 so that City Dance Staff has ample time to set your prerequisite skills prior to June registration. If your prerequisite skills have not been updated and/or you are new to the Civic Dance Arts program, then you will not be able to enroll in those higher level classes from home and MUST come in person to select locations to be evaluated and enrolled on registration day (Saturday, June 20, 2015). Please call the dance office at 619-235-5255 for more detailed information.
As a recipient of Federal funds, the City of San Diego cannot discriminate against anyone on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, religion, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, veteran status, marital status, medical condition, gender (transsexual and transgender), sexual orientation, as well as any other category protected by Federal, State or local laws. If anyone believes he or she has been discriminated against, he or she may file a complaint alleging the discrimination with either the City of San Diego Park and Recreation Department (Contact the District Manager (619) 235-1106) or the Office of Equal Opportunity, U.S. Department of the Interior, Washington, D.C. 20240.