Civic Dance Arts Program
Program Overview and Forms
Program Office: (619) 235-5255
- Class Registration Form and Release of Liability (PDF)
- For class descriptions and schedule see the Civic Dance Arts Program subheadings in the navigation column to the left
- Registration Week: September 16 to September 22, 2013
- Classes: September 23 to December 15, 2013
- Priority given to continuing students at their locations.
- No classes on October 5, for Dance Fair - Free day of Dance in Balboa Park. Visit civicdancearts.org for more information.
- No classes November 25 to December 1, or on City Holidays.
- Registration Week: January 6 to January 12, 2014
- Classes: January 13 to May 18, 2014
- Priority given to continuing students for enrollment & recitals in the ongoing classes
- These classes culminate in dance recitals at the Casa del Prado Theater stage (Balboa Park) first 3 weekends in June. While participation in recitals is optional, please note that the entire semester is geared toward preparing and rehearsing a dance for the June rectials. Costumes are ordered for these recitals at the end of the Fall Semester. Costume money collected in January will have an additional $10 to $20 added to cover later ordering fees. Visit civicdancearts.org and click on "Recitals" for more information.
- No classes on City Holidays.
- Registration Week: June 23 to June 29, 2014
- Classes: June 30 to September 7, 2014
- No classes on City Holidays.
- Or, Register for our Summer Camps!, July 28 to August 15, 2014. Registration and brochure at civicdancearts.org, click "Dance Camp".
- Leotard and tights or dance pants/shorts. Hair tied back and out of the eyes.
- $48.00 per semester (unless indicated otherwise)
- Checks payable to: City Treasurer
- Each class meets once a week for 45 minutes (unless indicated otherwise)
- Low income fee waiver forms are available from the teacher or at civicdancearts.org, click "Financial Aid". Please note that there are only two fee waiver verification dates at the beginning of each semester. You must come down on one of those two dates to Balboa Park to qualify. Read through all information about fee waivers here: http://www.civicdancearts.org/scholarships.html.
- Most of the classes listed are beginning level. We are working to update this site to include our Intermediate and Advanced level children's classes. Please call the Dance office for more information at 619-235-5255.
Register with the instructor during the registration week only on the day/time and location of the class you are signing up for. These instructors travel from site to site and so are only at your recreation center or class site on the day and times of their scheduled classes. Registration week is the only week that the instructor is able to accept registration for classes. Prior to registration, download and fill out the class registration form and release of liability (PDF) and bring the form along with payment to registration. If you are unable to download, the teacher will have copies on site that you can fill out. Many classes fill up, plan on attending registration day (or sending a friend with your payment and paperwork) to ensure your spot in the class.
- Most locations have multiple levels of instruction, open only by teacher promotion, therefore you must REGISTER WITH THE TEACHER.
- Classes listed are beginning levels, with more advanced levels at many centers by teachers' promotion and audition.
- NO REFUNDS are made unless the class location has been cancelled.
- The classes listed are subject to cancellation when enrollment minimums are not met and based on budgetary constraints.
- No classes: City Holidays, November 25 to December 1, December 16 to January 5 (Winter Break), April 14 to April 27 (Tentative) (Spring Break)
- Please be advised that parents will not be allowed in the dance room to watch classes as it is disruptive to the students dancing. Parents may watch the last 5 minutes of class only.
- Information on this website is subject to change.
As a recipient of Federal funds, the City of San Diego cannot discriminate against anyone on the basis of race, color, creed, sex, age, national origin or ancestry, religion, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, veteran status, marital status, medical condition, gender (transsexual and transgender), sexual orientation, as well as any other category protected by Federal, State or local laws. If anyone believes he or she has been discriminated against, he or she may file a complaint alleging the discrimination with either the City of San Diego Park and Recreation Department (Contact the District Manager (619) 235-1106) or the Office of Equal Opportunity, U.S. Department of the Interior, Washington, D.C. 20240.