Chollas Lake Park
Chollas Lake is a great place to get some exercise, there is a loop around the lake that is great for walking or running, as well as a basketball court. Check out our Program Guide (PDF) for a map and more information.
Join us for our monthly Community Volunteer Day (sponsored by Starbucks) on the 3rd Thursday of every month from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Meet in the Lake parking lot below the restrooms. Possible projects include painting over graffiti and removal of non-native plants.
- Unless otherwise noted, all projects meet on the lake main trail, west of the main parking lot, just below the restrooms and outside of the picnic shelter.
- First-time volunteers must fill out the Waiver and Release of Liability Form (PDF)
- People under 18 must be accompanied by an adult. If the adult is not their parent or legal guardian, the person under 18 must also bring a waiver signed by their parent or legal guardian.
- Please wear closed toed shoes & bring drinking water
- Heavy rain cancels all events
Contact the Chollas Lake Park Rangers at 619-235-5910 for more information or if you are interested in individual and group volunteer opportunities.
History of the Center
As a reservoir built in 1901, Chollas Lake helped serve early San Diego's water supply. In 1966 it was turned over to the Park and Recreation Department, and was designated a youth fishing lake (for children ages 15 and under only) in 1971.
Directions and Bus Route
From Interstate 805 take the 94 Freeway East and exit on Broadway/College Avenue. Turn right on College Avenue and then left on College Grove Drive. The entrance is on the right, just past College Grove Way.
The park is accessible by bus via SDMTS routes 5, 856, 916, 936.