"To acquire, develop, operate and maintain a park and recreation system which enriches the quality of life for residents and visitors alike, and preserves it for future generations."
"We Enrich Lives Through Quality Parks and Programs"
Come out today and play!
- Be happier
- Feel great
- Lose weight
- Reduce stress
- Increase community pride
- Provide safe places to play
- Diminish gang violence
- Protect the environment
- Increase tourism
- Create memories
- Build family unity
- Reduce unemployment
- Build self-esteem
- Eliminate loneliness
- Reduce crime
- Lower health care costs
- Boost employee productivity
- Live longer
- Boost economy & attract business
San Diego's Park and Recreation Department is responsible for overseeing:
- more than 40,000 acres of developed and undeveloped open space;
- more than 340 parks including Balboa Park, Mission Trails Regional Park and Mission Bay Park;
- over 26 miles of shoreline from Sunset Cliffs to La Jolla;
- 13 pools;
- three public golf complexes;
- 56 recreation centers and more.
Park and recreation professionals and volunteers host hundreds of community events each year and provide safe places for thousands of children to go after school. City employees and volunteers take great pride to enrich the lives of others through quality parks and programs.
Our parks and programs are designed and developed so that people of all ages, abilities and income levels have the chance to participate in excellent recreational opportunities.
There is always something to see and do in a park, recreation facility or pool each and every day. You will find a program, activity or special place that brings you back again and again.
We are just around the corner. We have something for everyone, and the benefits are endless.