Frequently Asked Questions
Where is the recreation center closest to my home? When is it open and what programs are offered there?
- Check out our Recreation Centers page to find a location near you. We also provide our seasonal program guides on each Recreation Center page.
Where is the pool closest to my home? When it is open and what aquatic opportunities are offered there?
- Our Aquatics & Swimming Pools page can help you find a swimming pool near you and also provide hours and programs. A seasonal schedule will be mailed to you if you wish.
What is there to see and do in Balboa Park?
Can I have a wedding ceremony/reception in Balboa Park or Presidio Park?
- Yes, every year hundreds of couples get married in Balboa and Presidio Parks. You will need to get a permit ahead of time in order to have a wedding in Balboa or Presidio Park. This page also lists specific park locations available for weddings.
What beaches can my children surf, boogie board or snorkel at with lifeguard supervision?
- The City of San Diego Lifeguard Service page has information you will need to enjoy our wonderful beaches.
Are there dance classes offered throughout the city and if so, where?
- Dance classes are offered in Balboa Park and at many of our neighborhood recreation centers. Check out our Civic Dance Arts Program page for the latest schedule.
Does the City have any campgrounds?
- Yes, at Mission Trails Regional Park. The Kumeyaay Campground is open for day use.
- We also have a youth campground on Fiesta Island that features campsites for 400 youth with barbeques at each site, modern restroom facilities and an amphitheater overlooking the bay. Contact Park Ranger office at (858) 581-7655 for more information.
Are there parks and beaches where I can walk my dog leash free?
- We currently have several Designated Dog Off Leash areas, three in Balboa Park and two near Mission Bay.
How do I get a tee time at Torrey Pines, Balboa Park, or Mission Bay Golf Courses? What are the green fees? How can I schedule a golf tournament?
- Information for all courses can be found on our Golf Courses page .
What is there to see and do in Mission Bay Park, the nearby beaches and shoreline parks?
- Mission Bay Park and the nearby beaches offer swimming, boating, windsurfing, jogging, basketball, volleyball and many other outdoor activities.
Can I have a wedding ceremony / reception in Mission Bay Park or nearby?
- Yes, Mission Bay Park is a great place for a weddings but you will need a permit.
Is there a sports league I can join in my area?
- Most of our recreation centers offer sports leagues for both youth and adults. Call the Sports Information Line at (858) 581-7100 ext. 3 or check out the Sports Activities page.
Am I allowed to have alcohol at pools, recreation centers, in parks and on the bay or beach?
- Pools: No alcohol is allowed in the pool area at any time. Also, anyone considered to be under the influence of alcohol will be denied access to the pool facility.
- Recreation Centers: Alcohol is allowed at some recreation facilities and is prohibited at others. Call the recreation center for details.
- Parks: Some parks allow alcohol during designated times and in designated areas, while other parks do not. Call the park's division office to inquire.
- Beaches and bays: Alcohol is prohibited on San Diego's beaches and Mission Bay Park. Alcohol is also prohibited in parking lots adjacent to beaches and beach parks. Posted signs provide rules regarding alcohol policies.
Need an answer to a question not listed above?
Just E-mail My Park! We value your input and someone will respond to your inquiry as soon as possible. Thank you for your interest in learning more about our parks, pools, and programs.