Enforcement & Rules
To report illegal parking in your neighborhood, call 619-531-2000.
The following general provisions of law apply whether or not there are signs or curb markings present.
- No vehicle may be parked continuously at one location on any public roadway for more than 72 hours.
- Parking is prohibited in alleys, except for the purpose of actively unloading goods or passengers, unless the alley is specifically designated as an alley parking zone.
- Parking of heavy-duty commercial vehicles is prohibited in residential areas unless the vehicle is loading or unloading goods or has a service call in the immediate vicinity.
- Parking unattached semi-trailers or auxiliary dollies on any street is prohibited except while loading/unloading (camping or utility trailers not included).
- Parking is prohibited:
- in an intersection or a crosswalk;
- within 15 feet of a fire station driveway or fire hydrant
- on a sidewalk or parkway;
- on the roadway side of a parked vehicle (double parking);
- in a bus stop;
- in a tunnel;
- upon a bridge (unless otherwise posted);
- in such a manner that obstructs the free use of the street;
- in a center median strip unless signs are posted permitting parking on the median; and
- in front of a public or private driveway (even your own driveway).
- Wheel cramping is required on all grades over 3% (hills) with or without the presence of signs. Block your wheels diagonally against the curb by turning your wheels into the curb when facing downhill and out to the street when facing uphill.
- Be aware of signage when you park. Read all signs. They may include time frame restrictions and other parking guidelines.
- Street sweeping signs are posted in areas of the City where there is a routine street sweeping schedule. Parking is prohibited on the designated days for the entire time posted on the sign.
The San Diego Police Department's Abandoned Vehicle Abatement Unit is responsible for the removal of wrecked, dismantled and inoperative vehicles on both public and private property.
To report an abandoned vehicle, contact them at 858-495-7856 or report the violation on-line.