Obtaining a Temporary Restraining Order
Do the following to obtain a Temporary Restraining Order (TRO):
- Call Family Court Services at (619) 687-2292 for assistance in obtaining a TRO.
- Requests for TROs can be filled out and requested at any County court branch except the Central branch and Hall of Justice in downtown San Diego. No fee is required and free legal assistance is available. The branch locations for this can be found in the San Diego Superior Court website. Click on Family and then Locations.
- Fill out the TRO form. Forms are available at Superior Court locations.
- Get the TRO approved by a judge. This can take four to six hours at the Court.
- Have the TRO served by a law enforcement official or someone you appoint. The server must be older than 18 years. You cannot serve it yourself.
- Keep a copy of the TRO with you at all times. Call 911 if a violation occurs.
- Call 911 if the restrained party has not yet been served but harasses you. The police can serve the TRO on the spot or over the phone.
- Go to the County Sheriff’s Department Restraining/Protective Order website to see if the TRO has been served. You will have to enter the Case Number and the restrained person's last name to access this online database.