Community and Economic Development
|FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Friday, April 1, 2005
CONTACT: Eric Symons
City Says "Thank You" to its Volunteers
Appreciation Receptions Planned for April
SAN DIEGO - The City of San Diego announced that it will host five appreciation receptions for participants in the City's Volunteer Services Program on April 20th, 21st and 22nd.
The Citywide Volunteer Program is a valuable tool that brings local communities and local government together to benefit all San Diegans. City volunteers enable departments to provide programs and services that would not be fiscally possible otherwise. From July 2003 to June 2004, over 40,000 individuals volunteered nearly 700,000 hours of time. Based on a the national average value of a volunteer of $17.19, which was established by the Points of Light Foundation, volunteer service to the City was estimated at just under $12 million.
City volunteers come in many shapes and sizes: from individuals and groups to youths to seniors. They participate in a variety of programs including beach clean-ups, libraries, READ literacy tutors, RSVP Senior Patrol, graffiti removal and youth sports coaches as well as serve as members of local boards, commissions and task forces.
In addition to the reception, volunteers will also receive various "thank you's" for their dedication to the community. Balboa Park Museum, Kobey's Swap Meet, the San Diego Padres and other local attractions have donated tickets and passes to honor the service that volunteers provide. The Padres will also recognize volunteers on its scoreboard during April home games.
Receptions for volunteers will take place on the following dates:
- Council District 7: April 20th, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. Tierrasanta Pool, 11238 Clairemont Mesa Boulevard
- Council District 5: April 20th, 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Scripps Ranch Community Service Center, 11885 Cypress Canyon Road
- Council District 6: April 21st, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Clairemont Community Service Center, 4731 Clairemont Drive
- Council District 3: April 22nd, 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. City Heights Weingart Library, 3795 Fairmont Avenue
- Council District 4: April 22nd, 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. Malcolm X Library, 5148 Market Street
For more information about the Citywide Volunteer Program, to get an application or learn more about volunteer opportunities, call (619) 424-0221 or visit the Volunteer Program Web site at www.sandiego.gov/volunteer-program.
# # #