Central Library @ Joan Λ Irwin Jacobs Common
30 years in the making and it's finally here! Check out all it has to offer.
- Central Library Floor by Floor (PDF)
- New Central Library innovative technology (PDF)
- New Central Library tour reservations are now available.
- Central Library Special Event Space Rentals (PDF)
- Parking at New Central Library
In an historic decision on June 28, 2010, the City Council approved construction of the New Central Library! This move helps improve the entire 35-branch library system and benefits San Diegans for generations to come.
- Project Overview
- Public Art
- Additional Information About the Project
- Project Planning Documents
Note: New Central Library was formerly referred to as New Main Library.
- Central Library Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Central Library Construction Facts (PDF)
- San Diego Daily Transcript: Special Section on the New Central Library
|Location:||330 Park Blvd|
San Diego, CA 92101
(Downtown in East Village, Park Boulevard at 11th Avenue, near Petco Park)
Metropolitan Transit System Bus and Trolley routes
|Building Size:||497,652 square feet (nine stories including a charter high school on two floors, two levels of parking, an auditorium and coffee bar)|
|Architects:||Rob Wellington Quigley, FAIA and|
Tucker Sadler & Associates
|Construction Manager at Risk:||Turner Construction|
- Renewed: A Short Story About the San Diego Public Library's Visual Arts Program (PDF)
- Selections from the Civic Art Collection (PDF)
- Installations and Artist Biographies
- Gary Hill, Public Artist Biography (PDF)
- Donald Lipski: Hiding My Candy, 2013 (PDF)
- Roy McMakin: Recreations of Furniture Found Discarded in Alleys and on Curbs While Driving Around San Diego Several Bright Summer Afternoons with David, 2013 (PDF)
- Einar and Jamex de la Torre: Corpus Callosum, 2013 (PDF)
Additional Information About the Project
- New Central Library Visual Floor Plan (PDF)
- About the Project (Library Foundation)
- Frequently Asked Questions (Library Foundation)
- New Central News (Library Foundation)
- Groundbreaking Celebration, July 28, 2010
- Dome Topping Off Ceremony, October 5, 2012
- Construction Webcam
See time-lapse photos of the project from April 19, 2011, to July 3, 2013.
- New Central Library Nears Construction Completion (10-9-12 YouTube video)
Interviews with San Diego Mayor Jerry Sanders, Carmen Vann and Doug Wenck of Turner Construction Company, and Architect Rob Wellington Quigley on the progress of this iconic library.
- New Central Library BIM Modeling
Turner Construction is using Building Information Modeling (BIM) to improve efficiencies in building San Diego's New Central Library. This model shows different elements of the structural build from when the project was at grade through completion in 2013.
- New Central Modeling of Ground Level Entrance, Auditorium, Lobby and more
Artist rendering of outside entrance to the library, inside auditorium, inside the three story main lobby, and the 9th floor under the dome.
- Video of New Central Library
Architect Rob Quigley discusses the new downtown library project.
- The Garden Courtyard
An animated look at what is sure to be a favorite outdoor meeting and gathering place for all San Diegans.
- New Central Library's Lobby from the Second Floor
The glass-enclosed, three story lobby is a dramatic entrance into the library.
- Sun Video
Animation that shows how movement of the sun through the day will change the shadows on the new Central Library.