Central Library @ Joan Λ Irwin Jacobs Common
Central Library Tours
Want to See the New Central Library?
As interest in the new Central Library has grown, so has the interest in seeing the new facility. There are now multiple ways to experience all that this space has to offer.
Docent Guided Tours
- Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays at 2:00 p.m. Click here to sign up.
- Wednesdays at 4:00 p.m. Click here to sign up.
- Saturdays at 1:00 p.m., Click here to sign up.
- Sundays at 3:00 p.m. Click here to sign up.
Art Tours: 2nd and 4th Friday of every month at 2:00 p.m. Click here to sign up.
Architecture Tours: 1st and 3rd Friday of every month at 2:00 p.m.
All available dates can be viewed from the library events calendar. Tours are not scheduled during Padres home games. Each tour can accommodate up to 50 people, and groups will be divided between three different tour docents. For tours in Spanish or at times other than those listed above, please email email@example.com with at least two week's notice.
Tours for Educators and Group Visits
Register students for either the Children's Tour or Teen Tour, please read all group visit details before registering.
Children's Tours: Appointments available Tuesdays and Fridays at 10:30AM
Teen Tour: Appointments available Thursdays at 10:00AM
- Thursday Tours - Click here to sign up.
Self-Guided and Virtual Tours
- 3D Map and Highlights — Co-produced by the San Diego Public Library and the Union-Tribune (PDF)
- Central Library Floor-by-Floor Self-Guided Tour (PDF)
- New Central Library Video Documentary Narrated by Dennis Morgigno (16:08 minutes) — This iconic building has been 30 years in the making! See some of the unique features that are making it such a special gathering place now and for generations to come.
- New Central Library Google 360 Tour — This online visual tour shows panoramic views of the Auditorium, Courtyard, 1st, 2nd, floor Pauline Foster Teen Center, 8th floor Helen Price Reading Room and Sullivan Family Baseball Research Center, and the 9th floor with the special event spaces, including the Shiley Special Events Suites and Qualcomm Dome Terrace. The Marilyn and Gene Marx Heritage Center and Hervey Family Rare Book Room will be added soon.
- Google Indoor Maps — Showing the general layout of each floor within the new Central Library. (Available on Android devices and now available on FireFox and Chrome web browsers. It is not viewable on the Microsoft Internet Explorer browser.) Enter the address 330 Park Boulevard, San Diego, CA. When you are onsite, it will navigate you through each floor.
- Special Details about the Building — Interviews with Architect Rob Quigley (Produced by UT-TV)