Central Library Concert Series
San Diego Musicians Celebrate the New Central Library!
Inaugural Concert Series, 2013
San Diego Public Library is pleased to announce the schedule for its special inaugural Fall season of the annual concert series in the new Central Library auditorium. The series, which includes performers from some of the finest ensembles in San Diego, is made possible by the Friends of Central Library, the San Diego Public Library matching fund program, and public and private donations. The concerts are very important to the musicians in the series because they provide a venue for them to perform locally. The community has responded enthusiastically as well, as shown by steadily growing attendance by musicians, music lovers, music appreciation students and residents of the greater San Diego area.
- Where: Central Library Auditorium, 330 Park Boulevard. The Auditorium is across the courtyard from the library entrance.
- When: Sundays at 2:30 p.m. Programs usually last one hour.
- Cost: Programs are free and open to the public.
- Parking: Affordable parking is available at the library and at thousands of public spaces within walking distance of the library.
Special Inaugural Fall 2013 Schedule
All concerts are held on Sundays at 2:30 p.m. in the Central Library Auditorium, across the courtyard from the library entrance at 330 Park Boulevard.
Sunday, September 29
The Ella Quartet
- Jisun Yang, first violin; Assistant Concertmaster, San Diego Symphony
- Julie Pautz, second violin, San Diego Symphony
- Gareth Zehngut, viola, San Diego Symphony
- Marcia Bookstein, cello, San Diego Symphony
- Joseph Haydn, String Quartet in G Major, Op. 77, No. 1
- Sergey Prokofiev, String Quartet No. 2 in F Major, Op. 92
Sunday, October 6
Ann Moss, soprano
- Isaac Allen, violin
- Eric Chin, violin
- Angela Choong, viola
- Jeremiah Shaw, cello
Selections from the forthcoming CD Currents, for soprano with string quartet
- Arnold Schoenberg, String Quartet No. 2
- Vartan Aghababian, Seven Songs
- Liam Wade, Joni Mitchell Suite
Featuring Ann Moss, piano
- Weslie Brown, Practice Your Flamenco
Sunday, October 20 Special event!
- Steven Vanhauwaert and Danny Holt, duo pianists
Lecture-recital featuring The Rite of Spring by Igor Stravinsky, in commemoration of the centennial of its premiere in 1913.
Music by Igor Stravinsky for Piano, Four Hands
- The Rite of Spring
Sunday, November 10
San Diego Master Chorale
Gary McKercher, Music Director
"Lost in the Stars": European and American opera choruses
- Kurt Weill, Lost in the Stars (Lost in the Stars)
- Benjamin Britten, Choral Dances (Gloriana)
- Samuel Barber, Under the Willow Tree (Vanessa)
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, Placido è il mar (Idomeneo)
- George Frideric Handel, Galatea, Dry Thy Tears (Acis and Galatea)
- Giuseppe Verdi, Va pensiero (Nabucco); Anvil Chorus(Il trovatore)
- Henry Purcell, To the Hills and the Vales; Dido's Lament; With Drooping Wings (Dido and Aeneas)
- Maurice Ravel, Il est bon, l'enfant, il est sage (L'Enfant et les Sortilèges)
- Leonard Bernstein, Glitter and Be Gay; Best of All Possible Worlds (Candide)
Sunday, November 17
Bach Collegium San Diego
Ruben Valenzuela, director
- Johann Sebastian Bach, Ouverture in B Minor, BWV 1067
- "Coffee" Cantata: Schweigt stille, plaudert nicht, BWV 211
Sunday, December 1
Jory Herman and Friends
- Kate Hatmaker, violin, San Diego Symphony; Art of Élan, co-founder
- Alex Greenbaum, cello, The Knights, Art of Élan
- Jory Herman, bass, San Diego Symphony, Art of Élan
- Tom Jonson, Failing
- Jeff Greene, Marrow
- Reinhold Glière, Prelude; Cradle Song
- Patrick Neher, Grig's Dance; For Michele
- Robert Lindley, Pièce de salon
- Mark O'Connor, Appalachia Waltz; College Hornpipe
Sunday, December 15
- Travis Maril, viola (Artistic Co-Director, Camarada)
- Ines Irawati, piano (Guest Artist)
- Johann Sebastian Bach, Gamba Sonata No. 1 in G Major for Viola and Piano
- Frédéric Chopin, Barcarolle for Solo Piano
- Arthur Benjamin, Jamaican Rumba for Viola and Piano
- Efrem Zimbalist, Tango from Sarasateana for Viola and Piano
- César Franck, Sonata in A Major for Violin and Piano
Sunday, December 22
San Diego Children's Choir
Happy Holidays Concert and Community Sing-along
- To be announced
Programs and artists are subject to change.