One Book, One San Diego
About One Book One San Diego
Now in its eighth year, One Book, One San Diego is a community reading program. It is a partnership between KPBS, San Diego Public Library and the San Diego County Library. The purpose of the program is to bring together our community and encourage residents to join together in the shared experience of reading and discussing the same book. The program also encourages participation in related events, discussions of the ideas raised in the featured book, and examination of how these ideas connect with our daily lives and local communities.
Additional library partners include Carlsbad Public Library, Chula Vista Public Library, Escondido Public Library, Oceanside Public Library, the Copley Library at University of San Diego, the Love Library at San Diego State University, and the Ryan Library at Point Loma Nazarene University. The community can choose any of the 82 city, county or college library locations to check out the book.
One Book One San Diego 2014: Monstress
This year One Book, One San Diego is proud to present Monstress: Stories by Lysley Tenorio. Read the KPBS article to learn more about our 2014 author and book. The accompanying young adult (middle school) and children's companion titles will be announced in a few weeks.
Check back for information on book discussions, suggested reading lists, related events, and more.
2014 Title Selection Process
The title selection process is now closed.
- The nomination submission period is between February 20 and March 31, 2014.
- For more details on the nomination and selection process, please see Frequently Asked Questions. (PDF)
Past Year Selections
- One Book, One San Diego 2013: Caleb's Crossing by Geraldine Brooks.
- One Book, One San Diego 2012: Sky of Red Poppies by Zohreh Ghahremani, Moloka'i by Alan Brennert, and Into the Beautiful North by Luis Alberto Urrea
- One Book, One San Diego 2011: The Gangster We Are All Looking For by lê thi diem thúy
- One Book, One San Diego 2010: Outcasts United by Warren St. John
- One Book, One San Diego 2009: The Zookeeper's Wife by Diane Ackerman
- One Book, One San Diego 2008: Three Cups of Tea by Greg Mortenson and David Oliver Relin
- One Book, One San Diego 2007: Enrique's Journey by Sonia Nazario