Opera Insights Series
Lectures on the 2014 Repertoire
With Lecturer Dr. Ron Shaheen, University of San Diego
Free preview presentations about the four productions in San Diego Opera's 2014 season will be hosted at the San Diego Central Library @ Joan Λ Irwin Jacobs Common as part of the Library's Opera Insights Series. The series prepares opera-goers with enjoyable, informative, and engaging sessions that integrate historical and cultural background, music analysis, plot synopsis, and CD and DVD selections. Presentations will be delivered by Dr. Ron Shaheen, an adjunct assistant professor with a specialization in vocal music at the University of San Diego and a former staff lecturer with San Diego Opera. The schedule is:
- Pagliacci (Ruggero Leoncavallo)
Thursday, January 23, 3:00 p.m.
- The Elixir of Love (Gaetano Donizetti)
Thursday, February 13, 3:00 p.m.
- A Masked Ball (Giuseppe Verdi)
Thursday, February 27, 3:00 p.m.
- Don Quixote (Jules Massenet)
Thursday, April 3, 3:00 p.m.
- Where: Central Library Auditorium, 330 Park Boulevard. The auditorium is across the courtyard from the library entrance.
- When: Thursdays at 3:00 p.m., please see above for specific dates.
- Cost: Programs are free and open to the public.
- Parking: Two hours of free parking with validation are available at the library, and additional parking is available at thousands of public spaces within walking distance of the library.
In addition to this informative lecture series, the San Diego Central Library @ Joan Λ Irwin Jacobs Common offers an excellent core selection of opera books, scores, and librettos on the Manpower Innovation (8th) Floor of the library as well as CDs and DVDs in the Dickinson Popular Library on the first floor.