Library Catalog Notices
If the San Diego Public Library has your email address on file, you will receive automated email notifications when:
- Holds are available for pick up.
- Library materials will be due in three  days.
- Library materials are twenty-one  days overdue. A follow-up notice is sent at forty-two  days overdue.
To insure that notices reach your inbox and are not treated as spam, please add the following address to your list of contacts: firstname.lastname@example.org. This is an unmonitored email address and messages sent to it will not receive replies.
If you would like your email address added to your library account, please visit or contact your local branch library.
Library Elf is a free third party online service that helps you keep track of materials you have checked out or on hold from your library account. Additionally, you can consolidate multiple cards and multiple libraries under a single Library Elf account. This makes the service ideal for families and patrons of multiple library systems.
Once signed up with Library Elf, you can receive the following types of notices:
- Text message alerts for "holds ready for pickup" and "items due the next day"
- Email and/or RSS alerts before items are due
- Email and/or RSS alerts on overdues and holds
- Email and/or RSS alerts on holds about to expire
Sign Up Requirements
- A valid San Diego Public Library card
- Your library account's Personal Identification Number (PIN)
- Cell phone number and carrier (Required only if you opt to receive text message alerts. Charges from your text message service provider may apply.)
Sign Up Steps
- Visit Library Elf's Sign Up page.
- Add your library card by selecting "San Diego Public Library" from list of libraries and by entering your library card number and PIN.
- Specify what types of reminder notices you would like to receive, how you would like to receive them (email, RSS and/or text message) and how frequently.
- Confirm your subscription by clicking the link that Library Elf sent to your registered email.