Renewals and Holds
Most library materials* may be renewed up to two  times.
- Renewing online: You can renew materials by logging into your online account. Learn more about your online
account here (PDF).
- Renewing over telephone: Available during Central Library opening hours at 619-236-5800 or 858-484-4440 (toll free from the North County): press 1 (for touch-tone phone), then press 3 to renew library materials.
- Renewing in person: Materials may be renewed in person at any City of San Diego Library location during regular hours of operation.
*The following items may not be renewed: items with outstanding holds, leased books, eReader devices, interlibrary loan materials, laptop computers, museum passes, and story kits.
Most circulating library materials* may be placed on hold through the Library catalog. There is no fee to place a hold. If you had provided an email address on your library account, you will be notified via email when your hold is available for pick up otherwise you will be notified by regular mail.
Please note that items will be held for 14 days from the date you were notified that your item/s are ready for pick-up. There is a $1.00 restocking fee for holds not picked up. There is a 25 title hold limit for permanent library cards and a 2 title hold limit for temporary cards.
- Placing a holds online: Locate the title in the Library Catalog. Click on the title of the item to see the Full Record. Click on the "Place Hold" button or link, then follow the instructions on the screen. Requests are usually available within 4-7 days for available items.
- Placing holds over telephone: To have an available item held for you or sent to another San Diego Public Library location, call the Library branch which has the title.
*Holds cannot be placed on the following library materials: reference titles, magazines, leased books, or electronic items.