Resources for New Americans
Visit the Resources for New Americans companion page for more information.
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services
- Welcome to the United States: A Guide for New Immigrants
- Frequently Asked Questions about Naturalization: A list of common questions and answers about how to become a U.S. citizen.
- Guide to Naturalization (English)
- Guide to Naturalization (Spanish)
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services District Office
- Learn about the United States quick civics lessons. 2006. English.
- USCIS Naturalization Elegibility and Testing
- Green Cards (LPR)
- Make an online appointment to speak with an Immigration Information Officer
- Find information to permanently immigrate to determine the visas, requirements, and related materials they will need to apply to immigrate to the United States.
- Social Security Administration
- The Social Security Administration's immigration web page assists non-citizens and others who need information.
- Social Security Numbers For Non-citizens
- Immigration Classifications and Visa Categories
- USCIS Civics Flash Cards
- USCIS Case Status Service
- USCIS INFOPASS Appointments
San Diego Area Resources
- The International Rescue Committee's (IRC) in San Diego offers a full spectrum of services and programs for new immigrants: employment preparation, free citizenship classes, English classes, and more.
- The International Rescue Committee's information portal for refugees/ asylees in San Diego
- New Americans Immigration Museum and Learning Center This "museum without walls" conducts its work in classrooms, auditoriums and meeting rooms throughout San Diego.
- Immigration services in the San Diego area provided by 2-1-1 San Diego
- Job Training Information in the San Diego area provided by 2-1-1 San Diego
- Acquire a California Driver's License and/or Identification Card
- The DMV in the San Diego Region
- Article: "Facility Opens in San Ysidro for Those Seeking Citizenship"
- The Immigrant Rights Consortium seeks to educate the public about immigrants and to support immigrants in San Diego County in their path to become new Americans.
- A list of Citizenship preparation classes in the San Diego area is provided by
2-1-1 San Diego.
- Online Citizenship Test Practice
- Preparing for the US Citizenship Interview
- United States Citizenship Resources created by the San Francisco Public Library.
English as a Second Language (ESL)
- English Language Instruction in the San Diego area provided by 2-1-1 San Diego
- Interesting Things for ESL Students
- Activities for ESL Students
- ESL Cyber Listening Lab
- The Immigration History Research Center
- U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services' Resources for Adult Educators
- Ellis Island Foundation
- The History Channel, Ellis Island
- The National Park Service, Ellis Island
- Computer classes in the San Diego region provided by 2-1-1 San Diego, many which are at no charge or minimal fee.
- Legal services in the San Diego region provided by 2-1-1 San Diego
Other WWW Resources
- International Newspapers
- Foreign Language Search Engine
- TOEFLThe official Web site for finding out where and when tests are being offered. Associated fees, test advice, and study material suggestions are provided, as well as sample topics for both the TOEFL and the Test of Spoken English (TSE).
- Spanish language materials for children Center for the Study of Books in Spanish for Children and Adolescents/Centro para Estudio de Libros Infantiles y Juveniles en Espanol. A searchable database of recommended books in Spanish for children and young adults, reviewed by Dr. Isabel Schon, the leading authority in the field of children's literature in Spanish. It also provides links to major publishers and distributors of books in Spanish. Main center site (in English)
- The International Rescue Committee
- See The Internet Public Library's Immigration pagefor web sites helpful for new immigrants.
- About Citizenship Info
- The American Immigration Law Foundation
- Grantmakers Concerned with Immigrants and Refugees
- Hermandad Mexicana is an organization that provides various social, educational and financial services to the Latino community throughout California.