Field Engineering Division
This Division manages City of San Diego construction contracts, materials testing, land surveying services, and geological assessment/support. This responsibility includes providing:
- Quality assurance, quality control inspection, construction management, and survey support for Capital Improvements Program (CIP) projects and bridges. The Field Engineering Division inspects all bridges constructed through the City of San Diego as CIP projects or private development.
- Private land development of public infrastructure inspections
- Land surveying support for aerial mapping; preliminary surveys; construction surveying; monument perpetuation in accordance with the California Business and Professions Code; inspecting subdivision monuments in accordance with the Subdivision Map Act, boundary surveys of City owned property and rights of way; horizontal and vertical control; monitoring of local reservoirs; preparing legal descriptions and accompanying exhibits; and archiving field notes.
- Traffic engineering support during construction
- Lab testing of construction materials in the field and at manufacturing facilities throughout the region, including:
- Pipes for drainage, water and sewer systems, concrete, asphalt, cement treated base, and soil for roads
- Reinforcing steel, blocks, bricks, steel cables, engineering fabrics, and many other miscellaneous materials used for buildings, bridges and sewer rehabilitation