- Fri, Jan 9th - 6pm to Midnight
- Fri, Jan 23rd - 6pm to Midnight
- Fri, Feb 13th - 6pm to Midnight
- Fri, Feb 27th - 6pm to Midnight
- Fri, Mar 13th - 6pm to Midnight
- Fri, Mar 27th - 6pm to Midnight
The RaceLegal.com program was formed in 1998 by Dr. Stephen J. Bender from San Diego State University’s Graduate School of Public Health. With financial help from the California Office of Traffic Safety, a comprehensive grass root community based coalition entitled "Closing the Loop" was initiated. The goal of the coalition is to directly address the epidemic of illegal street racing activity and its attendant death and injury by providing a safer, controlled racing environment at Qualcomm Stadium.
The results are impressive. Year 2003 data show a 99% reduction in organized illegal street racing activity in San Diego and a 79% improvement in illegal street racing involved crash mortality/morbidity. Year 2004 produced a 55% improvement in illegal street racing crash involved death and injury. Year 2005 has produced a remarkable 94 % improvement in illegal street racing related mortality/morbidity when compared to the baseline year of 2002. Turnaround of this magnitude is impressive and a direct result of a community joining shoulder-to-shoulder and simply saying "enough is enough." The "Closing the Loop" approach to intervention quickly made San Diego a poor choice for illegal street racing activity and the RaceLegal events at Qualcomm Stadium have been a tremendous success.
Pre-registration information available by calling (619) 265-8159.
All races take place on the west side parking lot portion of Qualcomm Stadium. Enter the main Qualcomm Stadium gate and follow the signage to the event site.
Friday Night Event Hours
- Gate and tech open at 5:30 p.m.
- Racing begins at 6:30 p.m.
- Tech closes at 10:30 p.m.
- Trophies awarded at 11:00 p.m. (winner must be present)
- Racing ends at 12:00 midnight
Saturday/Sunday Day Event Hours
- Gate and tech open at 11:00 a.m.
- Racing begins no later than 12:00 p.m.
- Tech closes at 3:45 p.m.
- Racing ends at 5:00 p.m.
- Trophies awarded at 5:00 p.m.
*Photography Courtesy of Jess Van Wickel