City Seal The City of San Diego
HomeContact the City
City Seal
City Seal Business City Hall Community Departments Information Leisure Services A-Z Visiting
Redevelopment Agency HomeOverviewProject AreasNews and UpdatesMeetings and Contact InformationRelated Links
Linda Vista

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Redevelopment Agency of the City of San Diego (Agency) is dissolved as of February 1, 2012, per Assembly Bill 1X 26 (AB 26). The City of San Diego, serving as the successor agency per Resolution No. R-307238 (PDF) (January 12, 2012), has assumed the former Agency's assets, rights, and obligations under the California Community Redevelopment Law, subject to some limitations, and is winding down the former Agency's affairs and taking other actions in accordance with the dissolution provisions in Part 1.85 of AB 26. For questions regarding either the enforceable/recognized obligations of the former Agency or the Oversight Board, contact the Office of the Mayor at (619) 236-6330 or successorinfo@sandiego.gov. This website remains intact for historical reference purposes.

Linda Vista Redevelopment Project Area



General Project Area Information



The Linda Vista Redevelopment Project Area was adopted in November 1972 to facilitate the redevelopment of Linda Vista Plaza. The Linda Vista Plaza shopping center was built in 1943 to serve the surrounding residential development. The Linda Vista Redevelopment Project Area is the Agency's smallest at 12 acres. Its boundaries are confined to the blocks bounded by Ulric, Comstock, and Morley streets. The Project Area is bisected by Linda Vista Road and houses Linda Vista Plaza and Morley Strip, a small linear public park.

On February 24, 2011, the property located at 6905–6921 Linda Vista Road was designated as a historical building by the City of San Diego Historical Resources Board (HRB). The Municipal Code definition of a historical building follows:

Historical building means a construction that possesses historical, scientific, architectural, aesthetic, or cultural significance that was created principally to shelter human activity (such as a house, barn, church, hotel, or similar construction). See Municipal Code, Chapter 11 Article 03 Division 01, Definitions (PDF).

The HRB designation was based on the recommendations of the Historical Resources Board Staff Report (PDF), which relied on the findings of a Historical Resource Analysis Report (PDF) commissioned by the Redevelopment Agency. Research conducted and documented in the Report revealed that the building "was constructed under the Federal Public Housing Authority (FPHA) as a part of the original Linda Vista Housing Development Project. Construction of the building began in August 1943 and was completed within 90 days." It was originally named the Tenant Activity Building given that it was "the first community building for the tenants of the Linda Vista defense housing project. Prior to the construction of the Tenant Activity Building, the residents of Linda Vista were without a meeting place for community activities. Aubrey M. Davis, the Federal Housing Authority manager for the Linda Vista Housing Development project, dedicated the Tenant Activity Building on December 26, 1943" (see Historical Resource Analysis Report (PDF), page 13).

You are encouraged to visit the City of San Diego Historical Resources website, which provides a wealth of information regarding what this designation means.

Redevelopment Programs

Project Area Documents

Demographic Information

To view most up-to-date demographic information, visit the SANDAG Census Profile (PDF).




| Redevelopment Agency Home | Overview | Project Areas | Top of Page |
| News and Updates | Meetings and Contact Information | Related Links |
Site Map Privacy Notice Disclaimers