If you own a human-powered vehicle for hire, you must have a vehicle permit. You must have a vehicle permit for each vehicle that you own that is used for hire. To get a vehicle permit, you must provide the following:
- Proof that you are at least 18 years old
- A valid insurance policy which:
- Provides coverage of not less than $1 Million per occurrence of bodily injuries
- Covers your employees, agents or lessees
- Does not have "white out" or other alterations
- A $156 processing fee for each permit. If paying by check, make payale to "City Treasurer" or cash; no charge cards or debit cards.
You will complete an application which includes an affidavit affirming under penalty that each of your vehicles conforms to certain basic safety requirements. Failure to comply with these requirements is a misdemeanor, and could result in the revocation of your permits as well as possible fines and/or jail.
You will then be issued a decal for each vehicle, to be placed on the upper rear panel of the vehicle. Decals are NOT TRANSFERABLE. Decals are good until December 31st of the calendar year in which the decal was issued.
NOTE: If you are required to register as a sex offender, you may not be eligible to obtain a permit.
Please refer to the City of San Diego Pedicab Bulletin (PDF) for additional information.