University Avenue Mobility Plan
What is the University Avenue Mobility Plan project?
The University Avenue Mobility Plan (UAMP) project proposes multi-modal improvements along University Avenue, between Florida Street and Boundary Street, within the City of San Diego's community of North Park. Proposed improvements include:
- Roadway Improvements: traffic signals, raised medians, turn pockets, and re-striping
- Transit Improvements: transit-only lanes, transit stop consolidation
- Pedestrian Improvements: enhanced pedestrian crossings, curb extensions/pop outs
In addition, parking modifications would occur, consisting of the removal of on-street parking where the transit-only lanes are proposed and the re-striping of on-street parallel parking spaces to angled parking spaces along both sides of several adjacent side streets north of University Avenue. Relocation of some existing utilities and infrastructure also would be required. The proposed improvements would be constructed in phases, dependent on funding.
Why are these improvements being proposed?
The City of San Diego and community stakeholders developed a series of innovative traffic calming concepts for University Avenue to help enhance and rediscover the University Avenue corridor as a pedestrian and transit friendly environment. A concept plan was developed that integrates a series of traffic calming elements and multi-modal improvements with the goal of improving mobility along the University Avenue corridor.
The purpose and objectives of the UAMP project include:
- Improve traffic flow and safety
- Improve transit flow
- Create a pedestrian friendly environment
- Reduce speeding
- Accommodate bicyclists
- Reduce bus conflicts
- Beautify the corridor
Important Documents and References
- Project Informational Sheet (PDF)
- Notice for Scoping Meeting (PDF)
- Project Features Map (PDF: 5.4Mb)
- Información en Español (PDF)
For additional information regarding this project, please call 619-533-4207 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Para más información en Español sobre este proyecto, por favor llamar al 619-533-3749 o mandar correo electrónico a email@example.com.