Waste No Water Information and Resources
Permanent Water-Waste Restrictions
In recent years the San Diego City Council approved permanent restrictions on wasteful water use. These restrictions are now in place year-round. San Diego residents are encouraged to report water waste by calling the Water Waste Hotline at (619)533-5271.
The following prohibitions are now in effect at all times:
- Customers shall repair or stop all water leaks upon discovery seventy-two hours of notification by the City of San Diego.
- The time of day when watering is allowed (before 10 a.m. and after 6 p.m. from June to October, and before 10 a.m. and after 4 p.m. from November to May) is a permanent restriction. This does not apply to irrigation as required by a landscape permit; for erosion control; for establishment, repair or renovation of public use fields; for landscape establishment following a disaster; for renovation or repair of an irrigation system; and for nursery and commercial growers using hand held containers, positive shut off nozzles, or drip/micro-spray systems. The City will review variance applications from customers who feel they cannot abide by this watering schedule.
- City of San Diego water customers must prohibit excessive irrigation and must immediately correct leaks in their private water systems. The City's regulations now state that customers "shall not allow water to leave their property due to drainage onto adjacent properties or public or private roadways or streets or gutters due to excessive irrigation and/or uncorrected leaks."
- Customers cannot use a running hose to wash down sidewalks, driveways, parking areas, tennis courts, patios or other paved areas, except to alleviate immediate safety or sanitation hazards, unless that hose is connected to a water efficient device such as a commercial water broom.
- Overfilling of swimming pools and spas is strictly prohibited.
- All decorative water fountains must use a recirculating pump.
- Vehicles may only be washed at a commercial car wash or by using a hose with an automatic shutoff nozzle or with a hand-held water container.
- The City will not provide new water service connections for customers using single pass-through cooling systems.
- All new conveyer car wash and commercial laundry systems connections will be required to employ a recirculating water system.
- Restaurants and other food establishments shall only serve and refill water for patrons upon request.
- Guests in hotels, motels, and other commercial lodging establishments will be provided the option of not laundering towels and linens daily.