Kids Water Conservation Corner
Water Saving Tips
Ways to Save Water Indoors
- Check all faucets, pipes and toilets for leaks.
- Install water saving showerheads and ultra-low-flush toilets.
- Take shorter showers.
- Never use your toilet as a wastebasket.
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth or shaving.
- Defrost frozen food in the refrigerator.
- Rinse vegetables in a full sink or pan of water.
- Fully load your dishwasher.
- Rinse dishes in a full sink or pan of water.
- Wash full loads of clothes.
Ways to Save Water Outdoors
- Don't over-water landscaping.
- Water your lawn or garden early in the morning or late in evening.
- Adjust sprinklers so that they don't water the sidewalk or street.
- Don't water on cool, rainy or windy days.
- Equip all hoses with shut-off nozzles.
- Use drip irrigation systems.
- Plant drought-tolerant or low water-use plants and grasses.
- Use shrubs and ground cover to reduce the amount of grass.
- Place mulch around plants to reduce evaporation and discourage weeds.
- Set your mower blades one notch higher, since longer grass means less evaporation.
- Use a pool cover to cut down on water evaporation.
- Use a bucket instead of a hose to wash your car.
- Use a broom rather than a hose to clean sidewalks, driveways, loading docks and parking lots.
For more Water Conservation Program information, call the City of San Diego Public Utilities Department at (619) 515-3500 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.