Grass Replacement Rebates
Before and after photos of a grass replacement project funded through the City's rebate
UPDATED APRIL 22, 2015: As of noon on April 22, 2015, funding for the City's Grass Replacement Program was exhausted and the City is no longer accepting applications for this program.
San Diegans' response to our rebate program was overwhelming and encouraging as our City works to strengthen its water conservation efforts. More than 350 residents and businesses will receive rebates to replace more than 500,000 square feet of water-thirsty grass.
We are expecting to relaunch the program beginning July 1, 2015 pending approval of funding for the next fiscal year. Beginning July 1, 2015, we will once again be taking applications on a first-come, first served basis. Applications will not be accepted prior to July 1, 2015 (i.e. no waiting list will be established).
Additional Rebate Programs Through Other Agencies
You may still be eligible to receive a rebate for grass replacement through the Metropolitan Water District of Southern California's SoCal Water $mart program at SoCal Water$mart Rebates.
Also, if you live in the County (are not a City of San Diego customer) you should check with your own water agency's web site for rebate information or find details on the San Diego County Water Authority's Turf Replacement Program
Also, be sure to read all guidelines and rules associated with each program.
City of San Diego Grass Replacement Rebate
City of San Diego customers can receive a rebate of up to $1.50 per square foot for residential sites that replace existing grass with water wise landscaping and converting their overhead sprinkler system with micro-irrigation. Preliminary site inspection and pre-approval is required to confirm your qualification. Do not start a landscape renovation project without the pre-approval if you wish to receive a rebate.
- Rebate limit is 2,400 square feet and $3,600 per site (including front, side and back yard grass removal). Minimum conversion per application is 400 square feet (if area is less than 400 square feet it must be 100% of front, side or backyard grass area).
Commercial, Irrigation and Multi-Family Customers
- Rebate limit is up to 10,000 square feet and $15,000 per site.
- Minimum conversion per application is 1,000 square feet.
NOTE: Grass replacement areas are required to have a minimum of 25% plant coverage once the plants are fully mature. All projects must be completed within 120 days of City-designated start date. Artificial turf is allowed in up to 75% of the grass replacement area(s).
What Does Not Qualify For the City's Grass Replacement Rebate?
- Projects that have been started or completed before a pre-site inspection has been conducted by the City
- Installation of vegetable gardens where grass once was
- Lighting, fences, tools, retaining walls, taxes, fees and tariffs
- Water features and fountains
- Properties that use recycled water for irrigation
- High water use and invasive plants
IMPORTANT: First read through the City of San Diego Grass Replacement Rebate Guidelines (PDF)
Plant Coverage Worksheet (PDF)
Additional Incentive Opportunities
- SoCal Water$mart Turf Replacement Program (Turf Removal) - Unlike the City's grass replacement rebate program, customers can participate in this rebate opportunity only once per site.
- San Diego County Water Authority's Artificial Turf Discount Program