Fishing is allowed at all City reservoirs during regular operation hours. Anglers 16 years of age or older must have a California state fishing license. For days and operating hours, please see the "What's New" section. For information about fishing at specific reservoirs, please see the individual reservoirs web pages.
Check for costs related to Permits and Fees.
Bowfishing is permitted at only at El Capitan, Hodges, Otay, San Vicente and Sutherland on days the reservoirs are normally open for fishing. Bowfishing is restricted to fishing for carp only, in compliance with California Fish and Wildlife regulations. The following special conditions apply:
- Bowfishing tackle must have arrow shaft, point or both, securely attached by a line to the bow or to a fishing reel; this includes crossbows.
- Bowfishing is permitted only by vessel on surface water of approved reservoirs.
- Bowfishing is prohibited within 30 meters (100 feet) of any person outside the vessel of the bowhunter.
- Bowfishing is prohibited in areas of nesting water birds.
- Children under 18 years of age must be accompanied by an adult in order to bowfish.
- All carp taken by bow must be removed from the reservoir property. Disposal of carp into the reservoir, upon the shoreline, or in trash cans is prohibited.
- Bowhunters must possess proper daily permits, including a valid California Fish and Wildlife fishing license.
Any individual out of compliance with these rules and regulations, or exhibiting any unsafe use of bowfishing equipment, is subject to revocation of the permit and ejection from the reservoir.
For your convenience, a recorded message detailing current activities, schedules, fishing and hunting results is available at all times by calling 619-465-FISH (619-465-3474).