Switching to Recycled Water
Steps to Getting Connected to Recycled Water
- Site Assessment
City of San Diego staff conducts on-site preliminary assessment of the existing water systems. Call (619) 533-4691 to make an appointment.
- Prepare Design
Customer prepares plans according to State and County health regulations and the City of San Diego Recycled Water System Guidelines and Standards. Refer to the City of San Diego Recycled Water Rules & Regulations for specifics.
- Design Review and Plan Check
Plans must be reviewed and approved by the City of San Diego and the County of San Diego.
City of San Diego review -
County of San Diego review -
- Fill out a general application form and a Deposit Account/Financial Responsible Party form and submit with three (3) sets of recycled water plans, site plans, public improvement drawings and a plan review deposit of $2,400 to:
Public Utilities Department/Recycled Water Program
600 B Street, 6th floor,
San Diego, CA 92101.
Office hours are Monday through Friday 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Call for an appointment at (619) 533-7595. Checks and money orders payable to City Treasurer.
- For cooling tower, industrial or dual plumbing (toilet/urinals) plan review - three sets of plumbing plans and an engineering report are required in addition to the site plans and deposit noted above.
- Plan check process is conducted by city staff and takes approximately 10 business days to complete. Customers are notified upon plan approval.
Complete County application form and submit two sets of plans to:
County of San Diego Department of Environmental Health
5201 Ruffin Road, Suite C
San Diego, CA 92123
For assistance call (858) 694-2121 or (858) 694-2145.
- Pre-Construction Inspection
Following plan approval and prior to the start of construction a pre-construction inspection must be scheduled with the City of San Diego's Public Utilities Department Recycled Water Program. Call (619) 533-4691 to schedule..
- Meter Service Request
Customer initiates meter request by calling (619) 533-5469. Following meter service request processing, meter fees will be calculated and customer will be notified. Recycled water meter, service and inspection fees are payable to:
City of San Diego
Development Services Department
1222 First Avenue, 4th floor
San Diego, CA 92101
Business hours: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday - 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Wednesday - 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Schedule cross-connection shutdown test with Public Utilities Department staff (619) 533- 4961. Test will be conducted by City of San Diego staff following completion of construction.
- Pre-connection Inspection and System Shutdown Test
Once on-site construction is completed and prior to the final connection to the recycled water system, Public Utilities Department staff, in conjunction with the County Department of Environmental health, conducts a system shutdown test. Call (619) 533-4691 to schedule appointment.
- Initiate Service
Call Public Utilities Department Customer Service to initiate service (619) 515-3500.
- Required Training
Authorized customer representative is required to attend the Recycled Water Site Supervisor Course offered by the City of San Diego.
- Annual Inspections/Shutdown Test/Cross-Connection Control Test
Annual recycled water system inspections are performed by the City of San Diego Public Utilities Department. Every four years a cross-connection test is conducted by the City of San Diego and the County Department of Environmental Health.
For more information call (619) 533-7577 or visit the City's web site at www.sandiego.gov/water/recycled.