San Diego

Accessibility Tools

  • Check if your spelling is correct, or try removing filters.
  • Remove quotes around phrases to match each word individually: "blue drop" will match less than blue drop.
  • You can require or exclude terms using + and -: big +blue drop will require a match on blue while big blue -drop will exclude results that contain drop.

City Attorney Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Can the City Attorney give legal advice to private citizens?

A: The San Diego City Attorney's office cannot provide legal advice to private citizens or residents within the City of San Diego.

Q: How do I get a copy of the Municipal Code?

A: The Municipal Code is available at the City Clerk's Office.

The City of San Diego Municipal Code contains all ordinances for the City of San Diego. The Municipal Code is organized by Division. A Table of Contents is provided to facilitate location of specific divisions. The Municipal Code is updated as new ordinances are adopted by the City Council Municipal Code Chapters.

Q: What is the difference between the City Attorney and the District Attorney?

A: The City Attorney's office prosecutes misdemeanors and infractions within the San Diego City limits. The District Attorney's office handles all felony matters.

Q: How do I find out Information on a pending case?

A: The Case Information Lookup page is now available.

Q: Who does the City Attorney work for?

A: Under the City Charter, the City Attorney provides advice to the City's elected officials and staff, the City's departments and the City's independent boards and commissions.

Q: Who do I call to report a crime?

A: For emergencies, call 911. Non-emergencies should be reported to the SD Police Department at 619-531-2000.