A naturally arid climate and years of drought conditions have resulted in a shortage of water supply for the Southern California region. San Diego's water suppliers mandated the City to cut water use by 10-13% starting June 1, 2009.
Where are the Best Water Conservation Gardens?
To spur District Three's known dedication to conservation and its competitive spirit, I will feature a Water Conservation Garden of the Month in each issue of the District Three Dialogue. I welcome submissions including the address and photo(s) of your favorite drought-tolerant yards. Please send your suggestions to [email protected]. Don't be afraid to submit your own!
Winter Water Restrictions
Citywide mandatory winter water use restrictions went into effect on November 1 to accomplish the cuts required by water suppliers. For complete information, please visit www.sandiego.gov/water. The basic tenets of the restrictions are:
- Odd numbered addresses water on Tuesday, Thursday and Sunday
- Even numbered addresses water on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday
- Apartments, condos and businesses can water Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
- Sprinklers may not be used for more than 10 minutes per station on assigned day
- Watering is permitted only between 4:00 p.m. – 10:00 a.m.
Residential Outdoor Water Conservation Rebates
- Limited rebates for single family homes, duplexes, townhome and condos are now available.
- Smart Controller Rebates: up to $400
- Micro-irrigation Rebates: $0.02 / sq. ft. up to $195
- Sustainable Landscape – Turf replacement Rebates: $1.25 or $1.50 / sq. ft. up to $2000 (front yard only)
- For further details, please visit: www.sandiego.gov/water/conservation or call (619) 533-7485.
City leaders are hopeful that the mandatory restrictions enacted will accomplish the 10 – 13% water savings required by our water suppliers. In all likelihood, additional cutbacks will need to occur in coming years. The City of San Diego is proactively planning additional measures to address these potential supply cuts that would be fair and equitable to all water users, including those who have conserved water for years. I issued a memo of my ideas to decrease demand and increase supply .