Local Business Assistance
Whether you are an established business owner or someone looking to start their first company, we want to be a resource for you. Councilman Mark Kersey believes our small businesses are the engine of our local economy. Below you’ll find information to help you in your efforts to success. We also regularly visit District Five businesses to discuss questions or concerns and provide information about local business resources.
If you would like to schedule a visit or have questions about doing business in San Diego, contact:
District Five Business Liaison
Juan Carlos Leyva
10 Key Steps to Starting Your Own Business
- Create your business plan with the help of the U.S. Small Business Administration
- Envision business name and register it at County of San Diego, Assessor/Recorder/County Clerk’s office
- Define the legal structure of your business with resources from the U.S. Small Business Association
- Fill out the City’s Business Tax Certification Application and choose the Business Activity Type from the list on the application
- Choose your business site by looking up zoning and permit requirements from the City’s Development Services Department. If you plan to operate out of your home, obtain information about requirements for home occupations by contacting Code Enforcement.
- Obtain special permits and licenses
- Get tax information from the Office of the City Treasurer, California Tax Information Center, and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
- Learn about employer responsibilities at the state and federal levels from the Employment Development Department and the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
- Apply for a Business Tax License by going through the Office of the City Treasurer.
- Learn about Hiring and Retaining Employees from the U.S. Small Business Administration
District Five Business Profiles
We have many great businesses in District Five. We highlight them each month in our newsletter. See previous profiles below. If you would like us to profile your District Five business, email Business Liaison Juan Carlos Leyva at [email protected].
Cork & Craft - Rancho Bernardo
Man Cave Barbershop – Rancho Bernardo
C’s Ice Cream & Deli – Scripps Ranch
Mostra Coffee – Carmel Mountain Ranch/Rancho Bernardo
We Rock the Spectrum Kids Gym – Sabre Springs
Latitude 33 – Scripps Ranch