Phone: (619) 235-5800
The Payroll Section is responsible for producing an accurate and timely payroll to all City employees. The City’s biweekly payroll averages approximately $27 million paid to 9,700 City employees.
Payroll Section Activities
- Processing, directing and reviewing the City employees' payroll activities. This includes verifying, reconciling and distributing payroll advices/warrants, processing garnishments and attachments, and processing catastrophic leave requests.
- Processing deferred compensation, SPSP, 401(K), and employee supplemental payments originating in other departments (e.g., mileage and travel reimbursements, moving expenses, and flex benefits).
- Preparing and processing employee supplemental payments (e.g., uniform, auto and tool allowances, extended military leave differential, bid to goal, and pay for performance).
- Reconciling quarterly and annual taxes, and distributing W-2s.
- Conducting payroll training classes for departmental payroll specialists.
- Reconciling payroll, wire transfer of funds, and reporting of income to appropriate third parties (e.g. IRS, state Employment Development Department, Wells Fargo, Variable Annuity Life Insurance Company, retiree health trusts, San Diego City Employees' Retirement System, and employee labor unions).