*Revised January 31, 2016
Accessibility for Small Businesses
Accessibility Guide for Small Businesses . This document is intended to provide explanation and technical guidance to assist owners of small businesses of the accessibility regulations of the State of California as applied to places of businesses.
Universal design is the design of built environment, which addresses accessibility by making all elements and spaces accessible to and usable by all people to the greatest extent possible. Universal design makes elements and spaces easier and more convenient to use for everyone.
Reference Material from "The Center for Universal Design"
- Universal Design History
- The principles of Universal design
- Definitions of Accessible, Adaptable, and Universal design
- Wood Ramp Design
- Curbless Showers
- Bathroom Tech Sheet
- Division of State Architect—Accessibility Frequently Asked Questions (www.dgs.ca.gov/dsa/Programs/progAccess/accessfaqs.aspx)
- Information and Technical assistance on the American With Disabilities Act (www.ada.gov)
- United States Access Board (www.access-board.gov)
- Part 2--California Building Code (www.bsc.ca.gov/Home/Current2013Codes.aspx)